HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

I've been breaking the law to get better FE?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 06:30 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: I've been breaking the law to get better FE?

Originally Posted by livvie
I tend to not stop at lights that don't make sense, more out of impatience than to save fuel. For example, there are a couple of lights where I live that are always red in both directions (T stop). The problem is there really isn't a need for a light there. A simple stop sign on the non main road would suffice. At night i blow through the red all the time. And yes, you can see the other road clearly so you can see if a car is coming (they would have to stop anyway as the light is never green until you trigger the light). I haven't stopped for that light in 10 years. I'm so bad that i go around people who are stupid enough to stop at the light. ;-)

As for creeping through stop signs, I do that all the time and did it once right in front of our finest. I got yelled at over the loudspeaker to not to do that again. I was like, dude, what were you thinking. Oh well, no ticket, just got lucky.
I submit my previous comment here as well.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Coming to a complete stop at a stop sign or stoplight is not inherently safe. Likewise, not coming to a complete stop at these is not inherently unsafe. To be safe, one must make sure that they have a safe way to proceed. This is not predicated on coming to a complete stop.

Sure, coming to a complete stop is the law, but that isn't the important part. The important part is being aware of your surroundings and making good judgments based upon that. For some, coming to a complete stop is just a motion they go through.

Breaking the law is NOT the same as compromising safety.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:21 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I do it a lot when I'm in the middle of nowhere, or it is very late at night, and I'm on deserted streets, and I have a clear view in all 4 directions. I do it a lot coming out of store driveways when I have a clear view. Clear view is the key.

Plus, cops cannot write you a ticket for coming out of a driveway and not stopping at a McDonald's stop sign for example, if the stop sign is on private property.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:50 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr. Kite
Coming to a complete stop at a stop sign or stoplight is not inherently safe. Likewise, not coming to a complete stop at these is not inherently unsafe. To be safe, one must make sure that they have a safe way to proceed. This is not predicated on coming to a complete stop.

Sure, coming to a complete stop is the law, but that isn't the important part. The important part is being aware of your surroundings and making good judgments based upon that. For some, coming to a complete stop is just a motion they go through.

Breaking the law is NOT the same as compromising safety.
Exactly. Laws are overbroad in general to ensure the desired change in people's behavior. It is insanity to say that it's dangerous to roll through a 4 way stop sign at 5 mph if you can see that no one is coming. I live in San Francisco where's there's a stop sign just about every corner and there's no way in hell I'm going to halt my momentum every corner. I'll likely get a ticket at some point, but as long as they are rare I'll save money. Besides, it's easy to beat a ticket -- just show up and contest it, cops almost never show.