HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

I've been breaking the law to get better FE?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 03:20 PM
Enthusiast
Default I've been breaking the law to get better FE?

Been drivng my 2008 HCHII and I must be going out of my mind. I find myself blowing stop signs so I dont wreck my fuel economy, albeit at a slow speed, but I can just see myself explaining that one to the cops . Anyone else not coming to a complete stop anymore? I hope its not just me....

Old 03-11-2008, 04:16 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: I've been breaking the law to get better FE?

I too have noticed myself rolling through more often since I bought my '08 HCH last month...

Old 03-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Your FE is going to suck when you have to drive that rental while your '08 is in the body shop after you blow a stop sign and hit somebody.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yes. You definitely need to watch this. I noticed myself doing it too. Any FE you lose will go to a good cause- your (and your car's) protection.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pagemap
Your FE is going to suck when you have to drive that rental while your '08 is in the body shop after you blow a stop sign and hit somebody.
Its not like I'm rolling through stops when cars are around

Old 03-11-2008, 07:36 PM

Just be careful. I have tried to back off. I'm not sure how it is everywhere else, but no one in california stops all the way. You will usually only get pulled over if you go above 5mph. It really depends on the cop though. I tend to go a little faster through the stops in my neighborhood, because there is never anyone around. If someone is around, I will slow down of course.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:54 AM
Hybrid Owner

A ticket would certainly mitigate a large portion of that month's hybrid savings...

Old 03-12-2008, 01:14 PM

Yeah, I do this more than I should too. Sometimes it's completly OK (like in private parking lots with no pedestrians in sight) but more and more frequently it is on city streets. It can't save that much gas to start from ~8mph vs 0 right?

Another thing I find myself doing that I probably shouldn't is cornering quickly to conserve momentum. At the end of the day, it will cost more $ and oil to replace my tires than I could possibly be saving on gas...

Sometimes it's too easy to get hung up on the moment (gotta hit 50mpg! this trip) vs. looking at the long term...

Old 03-13-2008, 03:48 AM
HypoFueler

Instead of blowing stop signs, let up on the GAS even sooner as you approach the stop. Then at least you are not wasting fuel on braking....

Dont worry - spring is just about here - and so are higher FE tanks...

Old 03-13-2008, 06:12 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by warp9
Been drivng my 2008 HCHII and I must be going out of my mind. I find myself blowing stop signs so I dont wreck my fuel economy, albeit at a slow speed, but I can just see myself explaining that one to the cops . Anyone else not coming to a complete stop anymore? I hope its not just me....

This is actually a very good topic.

When do we start breaking the law and compromising safety for the sake of fuel efficiency?

Personally I will say: Never do it, it is not worth the FE savings.

Good hypermilers place safety above all else and accept the lossy aspects of safe driving (stopping at the signs, etc) by compensating for them though a good assortment of techniques. For example: Extending one's glides with the support of DWB and good anticipatory driving can help in many instances. Especially if you know the route.

I personally consider "blowing through stops signs" similar to performing close drafting at highway speeds. It is neither safe nor a good example and in the end it is not worth the fuel and emissions savings if it costs someone their property or life.

Cheers;

MSantos

Quick Reply: I've been breaking the law to get better FE?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands