HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

IMA light came on..

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Enthusiast
Default IMA light came on..

So my IMA light came on over the weekend. This after months and months of tell-tale signs of recals & stuff.. So I called the dealer (Hardin Honda in OC) this morning and was told that they're not sure whether or not I'm under warranty and will need the car in their possession in order to confirm warranty. That seemed strange, since I'm only at 49,8xx mi on a 2007 HCH2.. Also they wanted some $130 to do that inspection (this will be waived if I'm under warranty they said).. Wow..

Going to call a few more dealers. But what's your experience like regarding something like this? What can I expect? Btw, where can I get definitive warranty information on the ****ed IMA? I can't seem to find it anywhere this past weekend..

Thanx..

Phil
'07 HCH2 with IMA issues.. :-(

Old 01-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Enthusiast
Thumbs down Re: IMA light came on..

2006 models have a separate warranty book, warranty info is not in the Owner's Manual. That would be too easy, they had to make a separate book to get misplaced. I'm waiting for my IMA light to come on, my dealer (Tipton Honda) says they can't do anything about IMA issues until the light glows. My mileage dropped off after the software upgrade and every morning climbing out of El Cajon westbound the IMA batteries are two bars, after being fully charged the night before. I think the 2006 IMA system has a 150,000 mile warranty and it seems the software upgrade is there to keep the IMA light off until that mark is hit.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA light came on..

Wow didn't realize the d-word is censored.. :-o Anyway, yeah I was one of those people that had been highly suspicious of the "techincal IMA update" campaign from few months ago so I never got my car updated. I figured, if it's going to fail I want it to fail asap (with IMA lights on) so that I have the best chance of leveraging that (dubious) warranty.. Yes I have visited dealers (diff ones) prior to the light coming on and they won't even humour me with my concerns dismissing me with the same "we'll look at it if the light is on"..

Yeah I also have a separate book for my 2007 on warranty matters. Which btw, doesn't list the precise mileage of the IMA system. It defers to the Honda site for more information. But of course the Honda site defers to the dealers. It's like wow, is this Honda's subtle way of saying "we'll deal with it on a case by case basis and see if we can get out of honouring warranty as much as possible?"

Anyway I've got to call more dealers still and see what they say..

Old 01-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Enthusiast

So I picked up my car from Weir Canyon Honda this morning (dropped it off for them to check my IMA light coming on, which incidentally, the IMA light turned off on my way to the dealership to drop it off).. They installed the IMA-recall that I've thus far been able to avoid. The recall of course reset the light so it's not on any more. But lo-and-behold, the full charge indicator dropped to 2 bars shortly after I'd exited the dealer's lot. Guess this is the beginning of my "due process" of getting Honda to look into my more-and-more frequent battery recals..

Day 1 with the recall software update installed and can't really tell the difference at this point. Only time will tell how it works out I guess.

Meanwhile, I think the other thread of "my love for my hybrid has faded" kinda mirror my sentiment at the moment. I've just about made up my mind about replacing the Hybrid with something without a big (hybrid) battery before (or way before depending on how the IMA holds up) the expiration of my IMA warranty.

I would actually love to get a Jetta TDI if it weren't for:
1. Diesel fuel still not as widely available as gasoline.
2. Diesel fuel is supposedly cancergenic and the effectiveness of the particulate filter on the Jetta is basically unknown..

Phil

Old 01-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Enthusiast

Did the dealer answer the question of how many miles the IMA warranty is? I forgot to check my warranty book at home the other night?
I do not think the Hybrid system is good for hilly areas of SoCal. On Hwy 67 heading north from Lakeside towards the east side of Poway, there is a large steep grade when you cross the San Diego River. My '06 will be fully charged at the base of this hill but drops to zero bars as I climb the grade, trying to keep my speed over 45, by myself. I have never tried it with passengers. On I-8 heading east toward Imperial County, I have to be sensitive on how much regen I get downhill prior to climbing the next grade. Honda does not think it is a problem, though, because my IMA light does not light. 73,000 miles!

Old 01-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Enthusiast

Yeah nothing about the Hybrid is built for either ascending or descending steep grades: no power (110bhp) + no gears (cvt) + just about zero compression braking (small light pistons w/ low internal operating friction).. :-) It's only built to glide on glass in wind-less conditions on glass.. :-D

Oh yes the warranty. In California it's 15y/150,000mi (Weir Canyon service department also confirmed this verbally). This is what I had to do to find my warranty:

I logged on to "owners link" on honda.com, then I went to warranty and viewed (& printed just in case) a pdf listing the "emission warranties info.." In there it showed the IMA coverage. So in short, IMA is covered under the emission warranty, which is more extensive in California than other states (luckily for us.. :-))..

I'll try & attach my PDF. Btw I also found this link about IMA warranty on Honda.com:

http://automobiles.honda.com/certifi.../2008/faq.aspx

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
IMA warranty info.pdf (414.7 KB, 658 views)