HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

IMA, Check Engine and Battery Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 10:37 AM
No Spin Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA, Check Engine and Battery Light

Originally Posted by s1lverbull3t
ChrisG

Last four of VIN is 3283, so it must be some sort of bad batch as you say.... Everything you described is exactly how it has been with regard to the problem.... MIL code went off today --- actually thought it might have been a gas cap issue as the vehicle was filled up recently (not by me) and I noticed that the cap didn't seem to be fully tightened when I checked it.

I'll try to catch the codes the next time it happens....
If you do get the codes, tell the dealer that you have researched the problem and found others online with the same problem. This prompted my dealer to call Honda and find out the fix. Before that the dealer looked at me with a skeptical eye when they couldn't find anything. But I will say that I am proactive and have the service manual and scanner, and don't just sit back and believe what the dealer tells me without some research. Besides, Honda Hybrids are still new enough that the dealers/techs are still learning things also. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:46 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by s1lverbull3t
Anyone in the DC Metro area have any suggestions for which dealership to go to?
I suggest Leesburg Honda in Leesburg, VA. They found me my dream car and were quite helpful throughout the entire process. Fantastic folks down there (Sean Megaha was my Salesman). They are 400 miles away from me and I'm pleased to have them as my "home" dealership. I am NOT pleased that my nearest dealership, Valley Honda in Monroeville, PA, did such a horrible job finding me a car so stay away from them.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Green Machine

Happened again today.... It's kinda funny in that I was at the same place (went to same restaurant for lunch), parked in the same place (incline/decline hill street parking), and then turned on the car and the warning lights come on along with a "hard start." Last time it was also a warmer day (it's around 60 F) I'm wondering if any of those have any sort of effect on the problem since it seems to be way too much of a coincidence. Hopefully the codes will remain in the system until I can take it in on Monday.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:28 PM
Green Machine

A little update....

Just dropped my car off at Honda today, luckily (or not) the lights all came on while I was driving there so I made sure when I pulled into the service dept. to show the techs/service advisors. They checked it, and said that the sensor needed to be replaced, so they gave me a rental car until it is fixed. The sensors apparently are plentiful, but not the tool required to perform the fix... Hopefully it'll be fixed by Friday--- I'll update along with the work order once I get my car back.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Green Machine

UPDATE:

So after waiting 6 days, Honda service finally finished the repair. Car seems okay for now, I will post later if any problems arise....

Here is what they did, according to my receipt:

**UNDER WARRANTY**
Cause of problem: Code P04F (there are other codes described in the thread, but this is what's on the work order)

Correction: Replace Revolution Counter (*sensor)
p/n# SPO 1A810-RMX-013
-This is a metal part with a circular rotating assembly consisting of magnets to measure the RPMs of the engine (or so I was told). Also on the part is a sensor that connects to the IMA/engine management. The whole thing works as one so if the sensor goes bad, the part must be replaced.

Hours: 7.1 to complete ---- The tech has to remove the transmission in order to access the part, which is located between the transmission and the engine. Also the tech removes the rear seatback to access the IMA battery for something (not sure, but I was allowed to peak in and see all the parts they had to take off). Also, they drain the CVT fluid so make sure they fill it up again with 3 qt. (shown on work order).

**** Most importantly, they have to order the part so it takes some time AND there is a special ALIGNMENT TOOL required to perform the installation. The alignment tool is magnetic and correctly aligns the sensor assembly with the transmission and the engine... They cannot perform any work until they have the alignment tool which unfortunately takes longer than the replacement part to arrive. I was told that the tool is loaned to each service dept. and then returned when no longer needed****

Old 04-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Enthusiast

I had the same problem happen to me. Was half way home and everything lit up on the dash. The next day I limped into the dealer and about 6 days later they returned the car to me. So far, everything has been working fine.

Most of the 6 day wait spent waiting for the tool to arrive. Luckily my car pool friend picked up the slack for the week (although at a higher MPG then my civic) and it wasn't too inconvenient.

Curious how often this problem happens with other people, or did the couple of us just get lucky and win the Lottery

Old 04-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by UtahHCH2

Curious how often this problem happens with other people, or did the couple of us just get lucky and win the Lottery

So far, this problem appears limited to early production batches of the 2007 model. The 2006's are not exhibiting this discrepancy (at least statistically).

Cheers;

MSantos

Last edited by msantos; 04-03-2007 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:57 AM
No Spin Enthusiast

Update on earlier posts.
With 3000 miles on my 2007, the IMA, check Engine and Battery lights came on. The problem was the Motor Rotor Sensor circuitry. The dealer replaced the sensor and had to take out the transmission and realign everything.
The car now has over 5500 miles on it and my latest roadtrip between L.A. and Phoenix gave me a 53+ mpg rating. No further problems have occurred. As MSantos stated earlier, it appears Honda got a bad batch of sensors and they now get them from a different manufacturer. If this problem occurs to you, don't be discouraged....Honda makes quality cars but a glitch occurs every now and then .....

Old 05-25-2007, 06:02 AM
Enthusiast

This happened to me yesterday (07 hybrid). I was driving all fine and dandy, then there was a slight surge and all three lights lit up - IMA, Motor, Battery. This really sucks, it only has 4k miles on it, and not at all a Honda traight. This sounds like a major event – taking out the trans. and waiting for a special alignment part... that is, if I have the same issue.

My car is an early 2007 (bought it in Oct or early Nov 2007) last 4 digits on VIN are 1575

It was really strange "limping" home on a "weak-ish" ICE especially with the hills.

poor hybrid

also, have noticed that my MPG has been down the past week. Last week was 50, this week 46 avg., with just about the same driving path and terrain.

Last edited by cawfebug; 05-25-2007 at 06:04 AM. Reason: add MPG note
Old 05-25-2007, 07:02 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Looks like we have a 2007 HCH trend

Especially with early model run 2007s (manufactured between October and December 2006)

Click Here for the story of my experience with essentially the same issue

Quick Reply: IMA, Check Engine and Battery Light

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands