HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Ima battery cell voltages

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 10:47 AM
Enthusiast
Default Ima battery cell voltages

After 1 night the cell voltages looks like this.
Yesterday they had 16-16.5v (checked in hds)

Morning the gauge shows empty, and after starting the car it starts to recharge ima bettery.

What do you think, should i try grid charging? Would it help?

Old 10-04-2021, 08:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Ima battery cell voltages

09-11 HCH2 battery is the worst hybrid battery ever made. 06-08 is the second worse ever made.

All resting voltages at all times should be almost identical. 16.0 to 16.5 is already a bad sign.

I can't quite read the voltages, but it looks like you have readings in the 13.xx to 15.xx range. Horrifying. 14.40V resting is EMPTY.

Primary failure mode is a complete loss of ability to hold charge. That's what I'm seeing.

Concerning grid charging, you have nothing to lose. Your battery is shot. Either it will work or it won't. If you do attempt grid charging, it is critically important that you force air through the pack.

Old 10-04-2021, 11:50 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
09-11 HCH2 battery is the worst hybrid battery ever made. 06-08 is the second worse ever made.

All resting voltages at all times should be almost identical. 16.0 to 16.5 is already a bad sign.

I can't quite read the voltages, but it looks like you have readings in the 13.xx to 15.xx range. Horrifying. 14.40V resting is EMPTY.

Primary failure mode is a complete loss of ability to hold charge. That's what I'm seeing.

Concerning grid charging, you have nothing to lose. Your battery is shot. Either it will work or it won't. If you do attempt grid charging, it is critically important that you force air through the pack.
And what is your opinion about chinese cells?

Old 10-05-2021, 07:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nbinszky
And what is your opinion about chinese cells?
They are inferior to the original Sanyo cells by a large margin.

Their warranty is completely meaningless.

Any purchase of chinese-made cells should be executed under the assumption that they will not last, nor will they have a meaningful warranty.