HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

I just won't use my AC

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 12:56 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: I just won't use my AC

It is over 115 here in Phx and there is no way that I could go without the air. It does put a dent in the battery charge but I just can't go without. I admire those who can. I get better milage in Phx in the winter than in the summer, I think that is the opposite of what most others feel happens. In my '04, I did not notice a difference from season to season.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:56 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jonmatt4nr
If you're feeling guilty, try the automatic climate control. It optimizes the cooling to a set temperature. I suspect it's better for FE than just turning on the AC full blast.
This seems to be the case for me. I started using the climate control instead of regular A/C over the weekend, and subsequently posted one of my best trips ever for FE. I drove 105 miles round trip and got 50.8 MPG using the climate control. The last time I made the same trip, I think my FE was about 46 MPG, just using the A/C.

Wes

Old 07-25-2006, 04:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chesleyn
Kenny, you are insane! I just couldn't stand it any more. I live in Long Beach also, but commute to Downtown LA every day. It has been so miserable in So Cal these past 2 weeks. I moved from the midwest to get away from this kind of weather. I have been running AC every day. It's much harder to keep my car in the 50-100 mpg range. I have to be a lot more delicate on the pedal.
After I get the car cooled down to 78, I put the fan speed on low (1 bar) and it doesn't seem to kill the mpg as bad.

this is kind of hypermiley but it works: we've had 100 plus temperatures here in the bay area the last 2 weeks. very unusual but a/c is a must unless you like traveling in a sauna. i've been doing the following and have had good results: first, i use auto. second, i set my cabin temperature to around 75 if its 90+ degrees outside. when the outside temperature drops to 85 or so, i drop the temperature to 72. then, i only engage the a/c when i've got mpg at 50 plus. this is general cruising on the highway or coasting downhill. as soon as mpg drops to below 50, i shut off the a/c and turn on recirculate to keep the cool air in.

the system seems to work and doesn't really drop my average mpg much if at all. if you've got voice navigation it's even easier to do: just say "air conditioning off" when your impg drops below 50 and "air conditioning on" when you're back up. makes things a lot easier.

just my observations!

cheers,
neil

Old 07-25-2006, 04:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nbalthaser
just say "air conditioning off" when your impg drops below 50 and "air conditioning on" when you're back up. makes things a lot easier.
In my case, with road noise from tires at 40psi and the fan on anything above speed #2, the NAVI can't understand what I'm saying. It would probably turn on the rear defroster or turn the radio to a different station!

Old 07-25-2006, 04:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Anahymbrid
In my case, with road noise from tires at 40psi and the fan on anything above speed #2, the NAVI can't understand what I'm saying. It would probably turn on the rear defroster or turn the radio to a different station!
lol. i hear you, no pun intended...

mine sometimes gets "air conditioner on" mixed up with "audio on" and then i end up screaming at the car... is this a case of techno-nerd defiance? kind of like refusing to get up to change the channel when you've misplaced the remote? i mean, the a/c button is literally a push button away....