HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

How Long Till We average 49 MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 08:54 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How Long Till We average 49 MPG?

At least for me, it seems to have gotten to a point where my skills have mostly maxed out and it is now mainly a function of the commute I am on. I had one particular 45 mile round trip about a month ago where I averaged 74mpg. (My SOC was 5 bars at start and 7 bars at end). I was driving with load with some mild hills and going 50ish. It was mostly a 4 lane divided highway with lights (most were green for me). I didn't feel like I did anything that special. Unfortunately, that was the only time that I have made that particular trip in my HCHII.

Anyway, my average is slowly creeping up. I wonder how high I can get it before cold weather takes over.

Old 08-18-2006, 11:34 AM

I'm thinking I've pretty much maxed out, too. I'm pulling in display readings that vary from 52 to 54 (that should be calculated readings of 54 - 56, due to the inherent error in the display). I've made all the concessions I'm willing to make (slower speeds, use of A/C, etc.)... any more would begin to degrade the enjoyment or my transportation needs for the car. My goal going into this was to meet EPA, so I'm happy. Now that I'm comfortable with how to drive it, I can now make a few adjustments (speed up a tad, maybe lower my tire pressures (road noise) so I can use the NAVI voice commands, use some A/C on hot days, etc... and STILL exceed 50 mpg. I'd be very happy with that. But I've GOT to keep my hypermiling star!!!

Old 08-18-2006, 12:03 PM
Enthusiast

My trip last night covered 90 miles round trip and I had the AC on at 75 auto half of the time and I averaged 43 mpg. This is with 4 people on board. I probably averaged about 65 mph most of the time since I was in the carpool lane and I had speed out to 85mph at one point since someone was tailgating me, and I had to get out of the car pool lane to let the maniac pass.

My car has just over 3000 miles on it and from what I hear on this forum should be broken in by now, so I don't think my mpg will improve drastically with out changing my driving style. While this is still short of the EPA numbers, this still represents 100% improvement over my last car (Mazda 6 V6) and I might add that I don't think I have sacrificed anything except for the homelink day/night mirrors that I had in the Mazda. The tax credit and the HOV stickers are just icing on the cake.

Old 08-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Enthusiast

I noticed a huge improvement once I hit 5,000 miles. Summers in the PNW are nothing like Texas heat, however, I've consistently been averaging 52 mpg plus since 8,700 (now at 12,000) over the summer months. In fact, since I hit 5,000 miles I've noticed the difference. Of course, I try to practice all of the techniques for hypermiling, but I am in no way obsessive. The biggest difference is watching the mpg bar, and slowly approaching stoplights/signs. I also stay in the right lane around the 60mph speed limit, and let the traffic zoom around me. It's ZEN.

By the way, I had an 02 Camry. Great car, averaged 32 mpg consistently. But, the HCHII is far superior in every way. I guess my point is even if a Camry Hybrid gets 39 mpg, it's not that far off the 02 Camry LE which I bought for 19,000.

I absolutely adore my HCHII. I've driven/owned cars of all kinds (even had an 05 MINI for a while.....I won't even go there) over the past 38 years, but the HCHII is the best of them all.

Last edited by 50Plus; 08-18-2006 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

For some reason I have this bug too. However I have never had a tank were I didn't take myself out of econo mode. At some point on each tank I always let loose. I always assume the folks with the highest FE are good at ensuring that they don't let loose. I have to say that this is the funniest car I have ever driven with less of a possibility of getting a ticket. Kind of like a video game for older folks trying to compete it keeps my drive interesting. And just like my Scion XB it attracts questions. Although I've never been asked if people could sit in my HCH.

Old 08-19-2006, 12:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

I recorded my 1st 60+ MPG reading on my 7th tank and 3100 miles on the odometer. Just a few more times like this..and i'll help us to 49MPG total. I doubt i can beat my record, but who knows; Im getting used to maximizing my fuel.

Anyone else acheive the 60MPG mark????????????????

Old 08-19-2006, 07:48 PM
Enthusiast

I Just filled up my first tank. Assuming Dealer gave it to me filled up I calculated 50mpgs . This is mostly freeway (80/20 split) at 55-65 mph (some 05 mph stop and go also). A/C on 40% of the time. Flat to slightly hilly terrain.

My a/c gripe:

Tip: My mileage goes up 6-10mpg with a/c off. Even in summer in carolinas this is no problem in my AM commute but unbearable going home in 95 degree heat after work in 5mph traffic.Hence in summer I do not expect to see my milage going above 55mpg.
note: If I do not use my a/c 55-60 mpg is very easy to achieve.
Maybe the experts grtting 70mpg+ live up north or have high tolerance for heat?

Has anyone gotten over 60 mpg on a hot day with their a/c on and going 55mph or up ? Now that is a challenge. I think it also would be useful to post your a/c on vs. a/c off numbers so people thinking of buying a hybrid can see the truth of this. Your ICE will never shut off at stops if your a/c is turned up more than a notch or 2 making a big dent in ones city mileage.
I suspect Honda should offer a non a/c hybrid for the most advid fans here since the 100 lbs in unused hardware would contibute even more to their mileage.(just kidding )

Old 08-19-2006, 08:21 PM

Great thread for newbies!

I am currently getting 21.9 mpg in my '06 BMW 325i. I've achieved 31.5 before, but the car is too fun for that!

Our '06 HCH II will be here at the end of the month to replace the wife's '00 323it -- which averages 18mpg!!!

Thanks all for posting!

Old 08-19-2006, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by silvereagle
Has anyone gotten over 60 mpg on a hot day with their a/c on and going 55mph or up ?
I once got above 55 mpg driving 70 mph with A/C on! That was for 240 miles. The trick? I was drafting a truck the entire way.

Old 08-19-2006, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by silvereagle
I suspect Honda should offer a non a/c hybrid for the most advid fans here since the 100 lbs in unused hardware would contibute even more to their mileage.(just kidding )

Hmmmm.
Maybe I'll just take my AC out since I never use it.
Does it really weigh 100 lbs?
Seems dumb to be carrying around a 100 lb dead weight for no reason at all.

Quick Reply: How Long Till We average 49 MPG?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands