HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

How Long Till We average 49 MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 10:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default How Long Till We average 49 MPG?

In the database the HCH1 CVT averages 46 MPG.
The HCH2 CVT averages only 47, even though its EPA is 3 MPG higher.

I'm sure it is because many of us are still breaking in our cars.
Also most of us don't have as much practice improving our mileage as those with the HCH1s.

How long till our average is up where it belongs?

Last edited by kenny; 06-16-2006 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:02 AM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Thumbs up Re: How Long Till We average 49 MPG?

Kenny,

I've been watching the HCH II mpg climb. We're closing in on the Prius. I think by September we may be at 48 or higher. I live in WNY state. Back in early March I had my lowest tank - 40.0 mpg . My lifetime was about 41.? at that time. I don't have a garage or block heater and both my wife and I have short (6-7 mi.) work commutes. On the bright side, my last tank was 62.3 mpg . I also made it 700.5 miles on that tank. I love the warmer weather! My lifetime is now 48.8 mpg - I believe I'll hit 50 by September. Now I really want a garage and a block heater by then. If more owners would slooow down we'll get there. I find that by going slower - driving is more fun, less stressful, and I get places early not late. Keep up the good work on your mileage.

Regards,

Old 06-17-2006, 01:20 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How Long Till We average 49 MPG?

Fuel economy depends on your local driving conditions and how you drive. You can improve your fuel economy immediately by applying the many driving tips listed in this site. Here are a couple of links...

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...tips.7702.html

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ead.php?t=4922

Good luck!

Old 06-17-2006, 02:07 AM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

I don't think you guys will see a 49 average ever. I hope I'm wrong. Good luck catching the Prius and the Gen 1 MT HCH!

Old 06-17-2006, 07:22 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

I think we will, lakedude. For the past couple tanks, I've been hard pressed just to keep my mpg above 50. So far on this tank, the "ceiling" has been around 55mpg, just by turning off the cruise. I just passed 4000mi, and the weather isn't even all that warm yet here

Old 06-17-2006, 07:35 AM

The HCHII is at 46.6mpg. The PriusII is at 47.7mpg. I'm pretty new here, but it seems like the HCHII average has increased a little bit. For those that have been around longer, can you tell me what these averages have been doing over the past?

Thanks.

Old 06-17-2006, 08:31 AM
Enthusiast

my commute has a lot of stop and go and some long steep hill climbs - I doubt I'd even be able to get up to current average much less help improve it - so, my mileage is staying off the database

Old 06-17-2006, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by s2ktaxi
my commute has a lot of stop and go and some long steep hill climbs - I doubt I'd even be able to get up to current average much less help improve it - so, my mileage is staying off the database
The way I see it, you should enter your information anyway. The database is not meant to be a contest, it is meant to be informative.

Old 06-17-2006, 08:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

Oooppss.. Misunderstood your comments...

I think the HCH2 average will surpass the Prius, in time. I have both and find it much easier to get higher mileage with the Honda. I have heard from others that agree. I am new to hybrids and easily average around 60mpg with the Honda, and have to struggle to get close with the Prius.

I think also that HCH2 owners might be a little more FE minded (just my impression).

Time will tell...

Old 06-17-2006, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by s2ktaxi

Yes please get into the database.

It is meant to be accurate, not misleadingly good.

Quick Reply: How Long Till We average 49 MPG?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands