HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

How hard do you have to work to get the good FE?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 09:41 PM
USAF Retired
Default Re: How hard do you have to work to get the good FE?

Both the Prius and the HCH get bad mileage when cold. When we rented a Prius in Vegas,we got about 25 MPG for the first 5 minutes when the car was cold--but we ended up with about 48 MPG average for 3 days.
I took our 2008 HCH to fill it a few days ago, got 49 MPG on the tank, and 36 MPG for the 2-mile trip back to the house. Played with it today while running around scouting out music stores. All city streets, gentle acceleration, glide as much as possible, minimize use of brake and regeneration; ended up with 61 MPG after about 14 miles. No AC or heat--nice weather! Gently rolling hills with top speed about 35--mostly about 30 miles per hour. It can be done.
Big mileage killers are uphills, speeds over 60 MPH, and hard acceleration.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Energy Independence

Indeed, Per.
Almost ALL vehicles get poor MPG when the engine (and hybrid battery, if included ) are cold. The Prius and HCH getting 25-30 MPG for the first 5 minutes are still far better than most vehicles.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:41 PM
Enthusiast

Here's a good summary explaining why FE will drop in the cold. I think I saw another post from one of our grand contributers somewhere, but this one captures the essentials.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:34 PM
HypoFueler

* Cold weather is probably frustrating many HCH2 owners on their FE. I checked my tank averages versus temps and it works out (for my trip) to be:

Tank mpg = 40 + Temp (F) / 4

seems to work out. Had 20F last week and was getting 45-50mpg. 60F this week and getting about 55mpg. Was getting 60+ in the hotter summer.

* Oil changes - I didnt notice a big jump/drop in FE after my initial (or second) oil change. Running Mobil 0w20 syn.

* Tires - I did notice a drop in FE after I changed out (worn out) Dunlops with Mich MXV4 S8s. Hard to put a number on it but at least a few MPG. Also gliding distance lower versus the Dunlops. Ride is now softer/quieter though even with tires pressed up to 48psi. Was running 44psi with Dunlops. Note - initial alignment toe ins for my HCH2 were all out of spec. Took my Dunlops wearing out to figure that out...

* Speed - I think you can see significant drops in FE above 55mph. Even going 60 vs 55 can cost you 5mpg - certainly higher speeds cost you at least this much. I am able and choose to run 60 and 55 on the highway portions of my commute.

* CC - I use it a LOT on daily and weekend highway commutes. I will kick it down 1-2 miles per hour going up hills IF my rmps going over 2000, then return it on the down slope. I dont see it killing my FE.... Also, I really have not seen much data that DWL is always better than CC. When the weather warms back up, I will probably run my commute with/without CC for a week or two to see if there is any difference.

Take care.

Last edited by spartybrutus; 01-08-2008 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Pretend your brakes have failed.
Don't drive faster than you can safely coast to a stop.
Leave a ton or room in front of you.

Try not to even lift your foot on the accelerator enough for the charge LEDs to light up.

IOW, once you use the gas to get up to speed go as far as possible on that gas.

Drive 55 miles per hour or less in the right lane.

Last edited by kenny; 01-09-2008 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:25 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the suggestions and info.

I have filled up a couple times since I started this thread and I am doing better. I drove from Orange County to Vegas (actually Henderson) and back and got over 500 miles on that tank of gas with the average reading about 48mpg. I though this was pretty good considering the size and length of some of the hills. When I filled up and calculated it by hand, it worked out to an actual mpg of 49. My girlfriend got a bit irritated when I'd slow down to 60mph up the hills, but I had the cruise set at 70 or above downhill and on the flats.

On my current tank of regular driving/commuting, my average is currently at 46.5mpg. So I'm getting better! And I'm looking forward to warmer temps so the car doesn't have to warm up long in the morning!

Thanks!

Old 01-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Glad it's working out for you! 49 is an achievement- you should be proud of yourself. Keep up the good work!

Old 01-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Enthusiast

I've had my hchII for about 2 weeks now and thanks to reading threads here and on other sites I'm averaging 48mpg on my current tank after going about 400 miles. Thats about 80mi a day for me with both city and highway. I dont think you have to try too hard you just have to pay attention and re-learn how to drive with a hybrid. I dont sacrifice that much speed either, I drive a little slower but mainly it seems to me that I only kill my fe when I acclerate too fast.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:15 PM
HypoFueler

Matt - your doing great at 48mpg... wait till warmer temps and you get a few tanks under your belt. I bet you will be getting 55-60mpg tanks before long

Old 01-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Enthusiast

Hey JRC,

do you have any pics of the two-tone leather seats you put in your HCH2? Where did you have that done and how much?? I would love to put some leather in mine, hate the cloth.

peace,
Jason

Quick Reply: How hard do you have to work to get the good FE?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands