HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Honda civic hybrid only getting 33mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 04:44 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Honda civic hybrid only getting 33mpg?

I have 06 honda civic hybrid and only get 26/28 mpg I thought that was decent but is there something wrong with mine??

Old 01-15-2014, 01:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hgerrick
Hello I'm new here, Lots of great info here. Myself, brother and son have all recently acquired HCH1 cars to commute to work. I'm interested in grid charging the batteries to keep them working longer. I bought a BIO Rad power supply like the one mentioned here to do the charging, Looking for more info on the hook up, does the fan need to run ect. I seem to be able to find a lot of info on how to bulid a charger, not so much on the hook up, harness, fan operation. Any info??point me in a direction???? Thanks.
There is a lot of info on this forum, at cleanmpg.com forums, and if you search for 'grid charger' on google you may find some more info on hooking up to a HCH1. (I have the HCHII). On the battery you have to find where the voltage is when it is turned ON. You need a volt meter, and rubber gloves to make sure you don't touch it. Once you know where the voltage is (and the + / - polarity), this is where you would hook up your Bio/rad or grid charger.

If you charge at low rates, you don't need a fan. And for charge rates above 500mA, you can just connect any type of fan to blow across the battery and keep the air moving

Also try to get a copy of the HCH1 service manual.. it will help out in getting to, and removing the battery and other info.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by beepbeep
I have 06 honda civic hybrid and only get 26/28 mpg I thought that was decent but is there something wrong with mine??
Thats very low for a 2006 HCH. I still have mine with 140k miles and I still get 45-50mpg.

In the winter you may drop a little, but not that low.

1) Check your tire pressures and put 40PSI in all 4 tires.
2) Turn off the defrost and A/C. Sometimes you don't realize its ON.
2) Check air filter and make sure the car is tuned up.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:42 AM
Enthusiast

I have the same issue. I have a 2009 HCH. That only gets 34 MPG! And I really drive like a grandma!!! I mean I even have grandmas passing me!! I do not accelerate too quickly and I have the option on mine to watch the mpg gage and I always try and keep it around the 50 mpg mark. But when the car calculates the mileage and what I actually calculate are very similar. Within .5 usually. I have taken it into my dealer 3 times for this either and they tell me its the way I drive and having the AC on....... IT IS THE MIDDLE OF WINTER!!! I don't drive with the dang AC on its too cold!!! I bought the car for the fuel economy and the fact that I like the car. But at the moment I am driving a very expensive lie! Anyone have any ideas? The car only has 40000 on it!

Old 03-02-2014, 10:08 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bonne Vie
I have the same issue. I have a 2009 HCH. That only gets 34 MPG! And I really drive like a grandma!!! I mean I even have grandmas passing me!! I do not accelerate too quickly and I have the option on mine to watch the mpg gage and I always try and keep it around the 50 mpg mark. But when the car calculates the mileage and what I actually calculate are very similar. Within .5 usually. I have taken it into my dealer 3 times for this either and they tell me its the way I drive and having the AC on....... IT IS THE MIDDLE OF WINTER!!! I don't drive with the dang AC on its too cold!!! I bought the car for the fuel economy and the fact that I like the car. But at the moment I am driving a very expensive lie! Anyone have any ideas? The car only has 40000 on it!
my car result a lie too ,a sweet lie because sometimes it gets 52mpg, the other day I have A 15 MILES TRAVEL and get 68mpg purely freeway, city drive is very hard for the civic, there is where braking and regen takes an important role on FE, on highway is very very easy to smash the epa rating, i think that on city the prius will be a good choice but if highway is on the conmute mpg rise highly , you have to try to keep it on the 100 mpg mark, use the pulse in the pedal when you see the gauge go down, force regen when you see the SOC on 4 or 3 bars on a light stop light, or brake smart long duration green bars charge battery fast, so you can use it for asst,I don use all the bars of asst too, dont know exactly if is better than not but the system doesnt enter in regen mode if the soc bars remain higher!!