HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Great Mileage!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 07:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Great Mileage!

Originally Posted by drpeter
I have been trying a tank of mid-grade gas, 89 octane instead of 87. It cost ten cents more per gallon, but my highway mileage w/o AC is 60 or better. Before it was 56 max. But the car is only at 2400 miles.
My drive is perfect- 38 mi. commute on flat coastal roadsm and a few overpasses that HELP my mileage!
That may just be the car breaking in and you getting better at driving it that is helping you get better mileage. All I've ever read about octane says that increasing it to more than what the manufacturer recommends will not improve fuel economy, but I know there can be exceptions.

I have also been using mid-grade gas since my first fill-up. Then again, our mid-grade here in the Denver area is 87 octane (regular is 85). Our grades are also all 10% ethanol.

Old 07-03-2006, 08:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ppgroup
The owners manual does not recommend using anything but 87.
Actually it recommends 87 or higher but not less than 87 I believe.

Old 07-04-2006, 05:13 AM
Efficiency Nut

There have been discussions (here I think!) which suggest that on lean-burn engines the higher than suggested octane lets the engine move a little farther into an efficient state before knock sensors (or whatever) back off the timing or add another cylinder or something less efficient.

Or maybe being lighter by a few dimes helps! I think everyone should try it eventually and let us know what they see... Peter