HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Got my aftermarket wheels and snow tires yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 10:02 AM
rgx
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Got my aftermarket wheels and snow tires yesterday.

Thanks Santos,

I forgot to mention that they don't sell the DX over here. The non-hybrid Civics are only sold in hatchback (aka 5dr "coupé") version, and hybrids are only sold in 4-door version. The hatchback has 16" wheels stock, even with 1.4 L engine. (The 1.8 L Sport has 17". Guess what size winter tires the dealer recommends on that one.) So I'm out of luck, no way I will be able to explain this subtlety to the dealer. Already tried in fact.

The winter tire scam is spreading and everyone seems to be in on it. I have experience from another brand, where I know for a fact that wheels from virtually all models from -94 and onwards would fit all new models (I had one myself, and bought used wheels from a -96). You'd only have to check there was enough room for the brake calipers. Still dealers quite consistently have people buy 16" and even 17" wheels, with much more expensive tires. A profile 50 winter tire often costs twice as much as a profile 65. Arguments are varying all from mechanical compatibility to legal requirements. (Truth is: over here you may fit any wheel/tire, as long the outer diameter is the same as the OEMs, and the tire is not wider. You may fit a narrower tire for winter use. Load index etc. also has to comply of course.)

Before telling me 15" rims are not available at all, my dealer parts shop offered me to sell them on the side, from the guy's separate company - not associated with the dealer. The price he said was "EUR 100 a piece, but he sells them to me for EUR 80". Knowing the normal price is actually around EUR 60, I ordered them anyway. A few hours later he calls me and says they are not available, and wants to sell alloys instead. Yeah, right.

Looks like I will be using the OEM rims this winter. Will let you know as soon as I find out more about compatible rims.

Old 10-26-2006, 10:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Weak.

Old 10-26-2006, 11:38 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Sorry to hear that Rolf. Scams like that can really put a damper peoples enthusiasm.

On the ironic side, this global warming thing may mean a short winter and less abuse on the OE wheels.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 10-27-2006, 12:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'm waiting on delivery of my hybrid. I've the oem rims for my winter tires and for the better days i've got de 17inch alloys from the civic coupe executive (euro version)

These were already insalled by the dealer so i'm sure they'll fit!

Don't let them get to you.

Old 10-29-2006, 10:18 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

For those wondering what the FE hit is on snow tires I can assure you that during good weather you should not experience much of a drop. On my return trip from Milwaukee, WI - I was able to achieve 630 miles at 56.8 mpg calculated or 53.1 mpg displayed. This was dry road, snow tires, and non-stock wheels. On the trip to Milwaukee, which was heavy rain and headwinds, I was only able to get about 45 mpg. My lifetime average of the car on stock tires and wheels is just 48 mpg so I don't think this is too bad. Granted, once the snow arrives this will be different but it is not a 7-10 mpg hit during dry conditions.

Old 10-29-2006, 11:28 PM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Wink Re: Got my aftermarket wheels and snow tires yesterday.

Flash,

What is the max. psi on your Blizzaks? What are you putting in (psi) per tire? Thanks for the update on the mpg with good roads. I haven't put my Glacier-Grip with SE D5 wheels on yet.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:14 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Don - I think the sidewall max pressure is 40 psi so I put in 40 psi. As all Winter rally racers know - you want a more narrow tire for ice and snow so the same car weight pushes down on less surface area thus giving you more pressure to the road or better gripping ability. On my last car the stock tires were 245-width and the winter Blizzak tires were 225-width which helped to reduce slipping. This car has stock-width tires for the Blizzak so I can't use that to my advantage but I can pump them up to the max and get the smallest footprint possible.

I'm also happy with the fact that they are not noisy like many snow tires. It is hard to judge from a 1-10 scale on Road Noise how loud it really is - someone needs to make a Decibel reading I guess. It is a teensy bit louder but not very noticeable with the radio on.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:57 AM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Wink Re: Got my aftermarket wheels and snow tires yesterday.

Flash,

Thanks for the info. I'll try that with my Glacier-Grips.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:47 AM
For my daughter

Yesyerday, I installed the steel wheels bought a month ago. It didn't fit properly and I have to exchange them. If you buy them outside of a dealer, insist that all the civic steel wheels does not fit on the CHC hybrid.

My advise of the day,

PierreM.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PapaMile
Yesyerday, I installed the steel wheels bought a month ago. It didn't fit properly and I have to exchange them. If you buy them outside of a dealer, insist that all the civic steel wheels does not fit on the CHC hybrid.

My advise of the day,

PierreM.
Actually, and steel wheel for a 2006+ Civic will fit a 2006+ Civic Hybrid...

interchanging pre 2006 and later models is where the fit will be an issue.

Quick Reply: Got my aftermarket wheels and snow tires yesterday.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands