HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Got my aftermarket wheels and snow tires yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 10:02 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Got my aftermarket wheels and snow tires yesterday.

That looks really nice. I like the set up. Also, please tell us what kind of hit you take in the FE. I had a good 7-8 avg mpg hit in a tank with larger aftermarket wheels and tires.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:47 AM

Thanks and I will note that. The "normal" commute today was hampered by a detour for work downtown so I did 22.4 miles (rather than 21.4 miles yesterday at 51.5 mpg) and only hit 44.6 mpg today but a mile of stop-and-go in town doesn't help the FE.

I also forgot to post the weight of the new setup (SE E2 wheel + Blizzak tire) was 35.8# and I will weigh the stock setup tonight.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:37 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Hey Flash,

Nice wheels and very attractive setup indeed. I like them a lot.

I have to to admit though... I am curious about the drag that the new rims cause and what kind of an impact it has on your FE?

As a side note, because of my setup I have not experienced any degradation on my FE (yet). I suspect that I wont see much because the wheels are not as open through (but are uglier).
It would be interesting to have some confirmation of FE impact due to the wheel AD drag - especially when you return to your summer (OE) wheels.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 10-24-2006, 01:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have doubts of drag issues. Look at the Prius' wheels.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Though drag may be a very small factor, I think the 'unsprung weight' is a much bigger factor in the FE. It's my understanding that a lower unsprung weight affords better handling and peppier acceleration. I would assume that just the same, there would be an increased coasting distance and possibly better FE associated with lighter wheight wheels and/or tires...

More importantly the 'low rolling resistance' factors into the FE also. I bet if you took the factory installed tires and mounted them to aftermarket alloys, the FE would not suffer nearly as much as those same alloys with snow or other 'non low rolling resistance' tires.

Just my take though...

Old 10-24-2006, 04:05 PM

I added the wheel+tire weight to my post with the photos (35.8# for the new setup compared to 32.8# for the stock set after 12.5k miles). For the stock set I measured a wheel+tire that was on the Right Front (meaning it was more-worn than the rear) and it was 32.8#. Then I took the Left Rear (meaning it was less-worn than the front) and it was also 32.8# - Q.E.D. Granted this is after 12.5k (12.644k actually) and if they last 48k miles then that would be ~20% tread gone since you don't wear the tire down to 0% tread. That would make the stock setup a little heavier new or maybe 34.0#? Not really that much difference in total weight per corner or unsprung weight.

This was also the recommendation from TireRack.com for the tire; however, when I chose the same setup for my wife's car (2000 Beetle 1.8T) it suggested the Blizzak LM-25 which, I assume, is not so much of a low-rolling resistance tire. One look at its tread and it is apparent that the LM-25 is a much-more aggressive snow/ice tire.

As for my results of FE today - my trip to the office and back was not as consistent as I once thought it would be. I did return home after 46.9 miles at 47.5 mpg. Yesterday I was at 64.6 miles at 50.1 mpg and last Thursday was 81.2 miles at 48.9 mpg and Wednesday was 154.0 miles at 51.8 mpg. I can see that today's FE is right inline with other days on the summer setup. I anticipate worse numbers in winter through rain and snow and ice and slush but on dry terrain I don't think there is very much of a difference. On the gentle-sloping I-279 into downtown this morning I was still able to achieve a 57-58 mpg readout after the first 7 miles of travel on not only the summer set yesterday but the winter set today. More updates later like the weekend when they'll log 1,200 miles in two days. Wheeeeeeee.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EZ2beGreen
Though drag may be a very small factor, I think the 'unsprung weight' is a much bigger factor in the FE. It's my understanding that a lower unsprung weight affords better handling and peppier acceleration. I would assume that just the same, there would be an increased coasting distance and possibly better FE associated with lighter wheight wheels and/or tires...

More importantly the 'low rolling resistance' factors into the FE also. I bet if you took the factory installed tires and mounted them to aftermarket alloys, the FE would not suffer nearly as much as those same alloys with snow or other 'non low rolling resistance' tires.

Just my take though...
My wheels are one pound heavier each that the OE wheels. I believe every one pound of unsprung weight equals seven pounds in the car. So, it's basically like putting a 28 pound weight in my car. (I should double check all these numbers)

Also, the Blizzak WS series is rated as a LRR Tire by GreenSeal.org. The WS series is not available for our car as the REVO is a semi-replacement for it. As it is still a Blizzak and has very simililar characterisitics to the WS series, I assume it is also a LRR tire.

And Flash, you crazy bastard, the LM-series is the sport series of Blizzak. It will not give you as much snow/ice traction, but will handle much, much better in the cold and dry than the WS or REVO-series. FYI.

Old 10-25-2006, 10:43 AM
rgx
Active Enthusiast

I also need a set of wintertires and rims soon, but it's difficult to find them over here. Any of you guys know more about rims that fit the HCHII?

I am guessing almost any rim for newer Hondas would fit, as long as they are over 15" and have the bolt pattern 114.3/5, which, btw, is very common with other japanese brands as well.

But dealers and tire shops over here keep trying to tell me that steel rims are "not available", and recommend me aluminium rims (for a lot more), and they also tend to think at least 16" is needed, even though the HCH has 15" stock. Guess it's because the Civic hatchback has 16" from stock. What's going on?

Anyone tried a set of used wheels from another Honda model? Or could advice?

I am at the point of following one of the advice in this thread, just buy new tires and have them fitted to the OEM rims. Or not drive the HCH at all this winter, haven't sold the other car yet. Until next year I'll have time to find out. Or maybe rims for HCHII are available then.

Old 10-25-2006, 11:10 AM

Good call, noflash, the LM-22 was my old car's winter tires (in the 235/45/18 size for $210 EACH!) but the Beetle gets the WS-50. Thanks for correcting me. Like I said, I don't miss the performance of my old car when 4 tires runs $850 and a set of winter wheels is another $600 minimum or $1,500 for a winter set and lasts 2 years while the Honda will get by for 4 years I bet on half the price. Wheeeee.

Old 10-25-2006, 11:58 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Rolf,

Many tire shops around here gave me pretty much the same talk. They would tell me that steel rims were not available for the gen 2 HCH. However, some said that they would gladly "try" the rims they had available to see which would fit - if I left the car with them for a whole day. At this point I simply said NO, because I do not believe paying others to experiment with my vehicle. They either know for sure or they waste none of my time.

My Honda dealership however was very certain that the stock wheels that come with the 8th gen base civic (DX model) would do well on the my car. They were right. A second Honda dealership (actually closer to me) I had contacted earlier was not sure.

Perhaps, it it the same issue in Sweden, unless Honda's 8th gen base model for Europe differs from ours, I think you should be trying the dealership again (or another one just for giggles).

Also, it is not a very good idea to not drive our cars over the winter. It can be done but the long term effects are generally negative.
And while fitting winter tires over the OE rims is an option, it would my last resort since the rims are pretty easy to damage by the crews operating the tire fitting machine. Besides it is a bit of a hassle too.

Cheers;

MSantos

Quick Reply: Got my aftermarket wheels and snow tires yesterday.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands