HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Got the latest June '10 software update!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 07:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Got the latest June '10 software update!

Either way, I doubt using synthetic 0W20 would make a noticeable change in your mileage. I used Pennzoil synthetic 0W20 for the first time last change, and didn't really notice anything, though I don't carefully track mileage. I believe it's main benefit is smoother starts, and more stability throughout it's time in the engine.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 09-30-2010 at 12:42 PM. Reason: added notation that the Pennzoil is synthetic
Old 09-30-2010, 04:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

I am definitely seeing a difference in battery management strategy- more aggressive towards keeping the pack charged. Say I start out in the morning with 4 bars,then have to floor it to get in with traffic and end up with two. For the next few miles it forces charge until it's pretty much full, then drives as usually. I also manage to see 50+ mpg on the way home for almost a week now. Considering that I am back to using E10 gas, that's comforting. Don't know if it's the car or me adapting to it

Old 09-30-2010, 09:14 AM

You may be correct on the oil not being synthetic, Steve. I checked a bottle and it is not specific what additives are in the oil. But they do mention that special additives are added to make the oil exceed API SM/SL performance and ILSAC GF-4. H

Old 11-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Enthusiast

I am new to this forum and need guidance. Own HCH II 2008 with 11.7 pound Motegi lightweight rims and Ecopia EP100 tires. Currently at 62,XXX and have no software updates that i am aware of. No battery issues. Drive 90% freeway only and only once noticed this summer that i was at 2 bars of charge. The lowest I ever get on the freeway is 3 bars. Drive in Northeast Ohio all year round and hate the performance of this car in snow/ice but normal driving i avg. 42-48 on the freeway with a slight increase after new tires/wheels. Reading all the various stories am not sure whether to get update from the letter. Other option is to sell while value remains reasonable and find a different vehicle with good fuel range. Any suggestions? really concerned about the June 2010 letter and the experiences.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Enthusiast

as an additional issue my selling dealership told me failure to get update will void even my Honda Care 100K extended.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:29 PM

I would go for it, because:

1. They might have an argument, ie: you neglected required maintenance.

2. With a battery in good shape you should have no problems. It will make minor changes to the IMA behavior, but esssentially in a good direction, aiming to preserve the battery, but still using it.

Our '06 is in so-so battery condition, we've got the update, don't regret it. Still not sure where our battery's going to be in a year or two, but the warranty is 8 years, at least up here.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Enthusiast

my salesman has a a HCH II 2007 and he called me from vacation claiming he performed update in a specific manner, including ensuring the battery was completely charged prior to update. he then said he has a specific set of instructions for the next 500 miles. Now after reading all of the internet info it appears that the update will work on a battery that is not experiencing problems, whereas on a battery already showing signs of wear the update essentially neuters the vehicle. I am just concerned that a neutered hybrid may not fetch me a good trade-in price.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:56 AM

Purely just my opinion, but I don't think the software is detrimental to any battery. If you have a borderline battery and don't get the update, the only advantage I can see is that it might die sooner, say within warranty period. But that's still 3~4 years off. Also, I believe Honda will not replace a battery without first trying the update.

FYI, we're test driving a 2010 Prius this am

Old 11-07-2010, 09:18 AM

Yes Mendel, I notice you lurking around Prius Chat. Check out www.castlegartoyota.com they have a 2008 silver pretty well loaded with 24,000 kil. for $18995. Probably still some room there for dickering? Big savings over new, and the 2G is better looking car? H

Old 11-07-2010, 11:10 AM

Hi Harold. Yeah, 'lurking" in plain sight, LOL.

Thanks for the heads-up. Through month end there is also a $3000 cash incentive happening on the Prius.

Hmm, looks like that Prius is gone, unless not everything's showing on the website. We're "new" people though, not sure why, there's an extra bite.

Quick Reply: Got the latest June '10 software update!

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands