HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Extended Warranty worth it? Anyone else purchase it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 10:30 PM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Extended Warranty worth it? Anyone else purchase it?

Steve, you've made some very good points! Thanks for mentioning them.

Have a happy new year !!!!

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 01-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hey, if the extended warranty is the thing that tips you over the edge into Hybrid-land, then it's definately worth it! Glad for you.

Old 01-07-2007, 07:17 PM
Enthusiast

I had an '00 civic, and I had bought the extended warranty for the 100k mile warranty. Unfortunately my experience with honda and their fulfillment of warranties has made me wary of them. So, I did not buy it for the hybrid.
With my '00 civic I was having all sorts of transmission sounds including thuds and jerks and I was constantly taking it back in for $50 a time. After several times with them telling me "It won't do it when we test drive it" I gave up areminding myself that I could have had the system replaced.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sorsha
I had an '00 civic, and I had bought the extended warranty for the 100k mile warranty. Unfortunately my experience with honda and their fulfillment of warranties has made me wary of them. So, I did not buy it for the hybrid.
With my '00 civic I was having all sorts of transmission sounds including thuds and jerks and I was constantly taking it back in for $50 a time. After several times with them telling me "It won't do it when we test drive it" I gave up areminding myself that I could have had the system replaced.
\

It sounds like you got jerked around a bit. If something blatantly stops working under warranty then hopefully it'd be a no brainer getting it replaced.

Old 01-20-2007, 08:57 PM
Enthusiast

Folks,

I was not considering an extnded warranty, but after reading about all the problems people are having on thie forum, I think I am going for it.

Also, I read through my warranty materials, where is the extra warranty on the hybrid materials mentioned?

Dobe

Old 02-06-2007, 07:13 PM
Enthusiast

I've read a warranty at "warranty direct" and it covers the powertrain but I wonder if that means the hybrid power pack or just the engine and transmission.
Does the Honda warranty cover these items as well?

Old 03-09-2007, 04:57 PM
www.disczones.com

I just bought the extended warranty at myhondawarranty.com and was wondering how I can use it? Do I get coupons for the oil changes? I assume it is good nationwide? Any Honda Dealer right?

Old 03-09-2007, 11:05 PM
Energy Independence

I got no such oil-change coupons. The only option I saw about that was:
"For lower mileage/year customers please check out our Sentinel plan, which includes regular oil changes and road hazard tire protection* to the already extensive Honda Care coverage. Plans limited to 3 year 36,000 miles. "

You didn't get this did you? If you did, it's NOT an extended warranty at all. And it's not even available in CA or WA.

Regular Warranty and Hondacare Extended warranty is good nationwide at any Honda dealer.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

i was able to cancel my warranty with no problems and got a refund for the portion that i didn't use. i got my warranty online also.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:57 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gumby
Can't argue with your points Noflash and MSantos!
I considered all those things and much more, and agree about 90%. I well know normal wear-n-tear items aren't covered (brakes, timing belts, etc).

Here are some of my reasons for buying the 8yr/120,000 mile extended warranty.

(1) I live in TX, so I get the 8yr/ 80,000 miles version of the standard "hybrid bits" warranty. I will drive 80,000 miles in 4-5 years. My extended warranty covers another 2-3 years and 40,000 more miles - much deeper into the car's life. I've owned several cars deep into their lives, and THAT's when an extended warranty often pays off.
(2) In TX, a hot state, there have been HCH1 premature hybrid battery failure issues. Honda is even reported to have quietly replaced batteries in the past and have an unspoken extension on them in sertain hot states (TX, AZ, NM, others I can't remember). This issue may well exist in the HCH2 batteries, since Honda owned up to this issue just recently. And it's possible Honda will NOT stand up & do the right thing on the HCH2, if so. Only time will tell.
(3) 2006 HCH2 - first year. Japanese or otherwise. They always have more issues than subsequent years. Usually these are early-on kinks (like the odometer-bug, and the side window issue, the spoiler paint-rubbing issue), but nevertheless...
(4) We just don't have overwhelming evidence yet of the hybrid longevity. Early Insights had some hybrid component issues, usually showing up around 85-100,000 miles. 6-8 years is not a lot of history to judge very-long-term reliability.
(5) I worry a little about the CVT. All CVTs are iffy, and Honda HAS already had some issues with them in the HCH1. The CVT is covered by the standard Honda warranty, not for 8/80K miles.
(6) Catalytic Converter. Some HCH1's have had this isue as well. Enough, that is IS a concern.
(7) After 90,000 miles, many of my past cars became "needy". I could often get by until changing to a new car, but this time I want to have the (inexpensive) option to "keep her" longer.
(7) I've found (in the past) that having an extended warranty made me MORE inclined to keep excellent maintenance on the vehicle.
(8) Hybrid components could easily cost $2K or more. A new CVT could cost even more. I figure $980 is a fair price to pay for the extra assurance (insurance).
(9) Since I am paying for the extended warranty with a 0%/12month loan, I can plan better (upfront) for an unexpected failure down the road. With my shaky job future, I can see being in a position to not be able to afford some future expensive repair, so I'm paying for it now. I *know* I could sock that same money away now, instead - and self-insure.
(10) For me, it helped sway me to buy a HYBRID in the first place, and that's the best reason

I know very well how typically well-built and long-lasting the Hondas and Toyotas are. If it had been for the Civic EX, with 5-spd (or even traditional AUTO), I would not have bought the extended warranty.

Having made my decision, I cannot fault anyone for deciding not to purchase an extended warranty. It gives me more peace of mind. I'm willing to pay a little more for that than many.

If Honda makes money on my extended warranty purchase, I can only hope it fuels them to build even better cars!
I agree that buying an EW makes sense for this car. If bought online its not hugely expensive and it adds resale value if you sell the car privately toa third party...which I will likely do. The car is no longer solely assembled in Japan so that logic no longer applies.

The new software is untested in real terms for longevity. Car mechanics and software problems become both frustrating and expensive.

The EW makes sense.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty worth it? Anyone else purchase it?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands