HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

The emergency brake handle is killing my knee!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 08:59 PM
Energy Independence
Default Re: The emergency brake handle is killing my knee!

Originally Posted by kenny
How about a bungie cord around your right leg with both ends tied to the driver's armrest?

Gotta luv Kenny! To the point and with simple, straight-forward solutions.

Old 09-19-2006, 09:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yea, checked it today and at 6' 1" no problems, even if I try.

Old 09-21-2006, 05:02 PM
HCH II Owner

The emergency brake handle gets my right knee as well. I am 6' even. It's more of an issue driving around town but on the highway I use the cruise control to enable my right leg to find a more comfortable postion.

Old 09-22-2006, 01:11 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Post Re: The emergency brake handle is killing my knee!

----- Informal survey -----

Can we have a height check here? It seems uncanny that so many folks in this thread are between 6'0" and 6'4" ...

I'm 6'0" and from time to time when the seat is moved I have to readjust it so I don't hit the e-brake. Sometimes it is the pivoting on the gas pedal with my heel directly inline with the gas pedal and sometimes I offset my heel to between the gas pedal and brake pedal. I don't want to make a hole in the floormat so I keep changing where I put my heel every 50-100 miles (or when my foot gets tired on long drives). Sometimes with the seat in the perfect place just moving my foot a little makes me hit the e-brake again but the ideal position *is* out there as I've found it. Seat is not all the way up or down and seatback is more vertical than I usually drive in other cars but this also lets me reach the Nav screen comfortably.

Anyway, height poll and your comfort level with the e-brake if you will. This should be fun.

Old 09-22-2006, 06:43 AM
06 HCH Opal Blue Pearl

I started reading this thread the other day...and like many, I can't figure how anybody is having an issue with their knee hitting the emergency/parking brake lever. I am at 6', and don't come anywhere close to it while driving...or any other time.

The only thing I can think of is that the seat is set up way too close to the steering wheel, causing you to have to bend your leg at the knee to the side. Guess the next question would be how close are you sitting to the steering wheel? To be that close to the steering wheel would sure be uncomfortable!

Regards,

Bob, 06 HCH 001055

Old 09-22-2006, 12:44 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I think it may be more productive to compare inseams, rather than height, because it's more the length of your legs than your overall height that's gonna make a difference.

I have no problem with the handle, at 6'2", 33" inseam.

But it's probably just the way we sit. I *can* move my leg so that the handle pokes my knee, but it's not the way I normally sit. (For the record, I have the seat all the way down and back.)

Old 09-22-2006, 02:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I'm just a hair under 6 foot. I've never had a problem with the handle. Actually, this was in a thread a long time ago... about the time I was shopping for the car. The posts concerned me, but when I finally got the car I realized there was no problem (at least for me!). The only ergonomics issue I've had with the car is getting in and out of it. It's a bit lower than my old SUV!!!

Old 09-22-2006, 02:41 PM
Enjoying my hybrid

I'm 6' and the e-brake handle hurt my knee until I readjusted my driving position. I put the seat back as far as possible (while still reaching the pedals easily) and then pulled the steering wheel toward me until my arms were comfortable (i.e. not straight out). Moving the seat back allowed for less bent knees, which (for me) was the key to getting more comfy.

Unfortunately, once you find the sweet spot, nobody else will be allowed to drive the car. What, no memory power seats?!?!?

Old 09-22-2006, 03:00 PM
Enthusiast

I’m only 6’2” and have not found this to be a problem yet, but I use my right hand to operate the emergency brake and not my legs. On a more serious note, Have you tried adjusting the seat height yet?

Old 09-22-2006, 05:17 PM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: Grabbing my pants

Only a 29" inseam here, and I would never have said it was a problem until you people put the thought into my head. Now I'm noticing it (sort of).

However, when wearing pants with cuffs, they snag on the cool looking plastic seat thing when I get out of the car.

Quick Reply: The emergency brake handle is killing my knee!

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands