HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Does 12v battery affect IMA battery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 08:38 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Does 12v battery affect IMA battery?

I have similar experiences and have owned my 2006 hybrid civic for over a year now.

Just an hour ago I ran a 30 minute errand with one stop for 5 minutes. I had 4 recalls in that time frame.

A couple weeks ago, took a 10 hour road trip. During the first 3 hours of the trip I had recalls every 15 minutes.

Thank the lord I paid for an extended warranty and the car has only 50K on it. Got another year and 30K miles for the Honda Battery warranty here in MD.

RSMD, it looks like we are near one another. Where did you buy your Civic and where do you service it?

I purchased and get service at O'donnel Honda.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:15 AM
Enthusiast

Here is an update on my car... Took it to the dealer, who wanted to run diagnostics. They said if whatever the tests find to be faulty are covered under warranty, they will not charge anything, but if not under warranty I will have to pay. About $70 for the diagnostics... I went ahead.

They kept the car overnight, diagnostics came up with nothing. SAID they took it for a test drive (less than a mile) and did not reproduce recal (I doubt they test drove, if they did they would have seen a recal)! They waived the diagnostic charge and said until the diagnostics show something they can't do anything. I got away without paying anything, but the car behaves the same. In cold weather, with the heater running, recals happen every 5-10 minutes. Highways are better. I am continuing to keep a log of all recals. Will send American Honda the file and ask them for an opinion.

manydubs: I bought my car in 2007 from Heritage Honda (Parkville) and have done all my service with them.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:44 AM
Enthusiast

This morning and the past few morning (very cold) I get a recall as soon as the car starts and then every 5 minutes......

I am certain that the dealer cannot (will not) do anything unless the IMA battery light comes on. That is the point where the IMA battery is just soo low.

I can also say that it is getting more difficult to start my car in the morning, starter actually has to work harder and rely on some juice form the 12V battery.

I am praying for an IMA light and expect to see it anytime now, ready to drive right to the dealer and not turn the car off.

Thankfully I am at 63K miles on a 06.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:46 AM
Enthusiast

Oh, almost forgot: went to advance auto parts and they test the 12V battery. putting out 280 CCA for a 290 CCA honda battery.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:28 AM
Enthusiast

I also changed my 12v from Advance Auto Parts (AutoCraft Gold Battery, Group size 151R, 335 CCA). My 12v was dying and had to be changed anyway, but changing it did not help reduce the frequency of recals. I am hoping for the IMA light too; and like you will take the car straight to the dealer when it happens. But as medicalstudent wrote on another thread, he hasn't gotten the IMA light with these symptoms going on for 2+ years and 100k miles! I have a little over 62k on my '07.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:01 PM
Enthusiast

We might have to self induce an issue with the IMA battery, like letting the car sit for a while in these cold temps. That might drain it enough that the light would trigger next time the car is started. Might have to try this the next few days....

Old 01-24-2013, 01:08 PM
Enthusiast

Can't afford to do it... This is my only car! But if you do give it a try and it works, do let me know. I'll give that a try too.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:22 PM
Enthusiast

Okay, here is a lousy update. I wrote to American Honda about the frequent battery recals. They opened a case, called the dealer to whom I had taken my car and closed my case telling me exactly what the dealer had said... that they couldn't find anything wrong with my car. Don't know what I can do next... Any advice/suggestions? I have also attached an updated file of recalibration events for 2 months.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
HCH recal log.pdf (28.4 KB, 296 views)
Old 03-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

Does your IMA light still stay on?

Old 03-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nstarz
Does your IMA light still stay on?
The IMA light never came on. But the battery has been going through these 6-10 recals per day for the last 4 months at least, since I started tracking them...

Quick Reply: Does 12v battery affect IMA battery?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands