HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Do I need a new IPU fan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 08:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Do I need a new IPU fan?

I have personally shorted the wire several times, and the fan functioned normally when the short was removed.

Last edited by S Keith; 08-17-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:19 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Installation of a Maxx Volts harness can cause IPU fan controller malfunction even after removal:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...tml#post270042

As I recall, there were 3-4 complaints of it on this forum.
I actually know Matt Willenbrink from another group and know that he never even had his bcm "tested". He ended up having his multimeter set on the wrong settings (set to ohms resistance) and shorted out the wiring in his car. He said that he made that post in order to try and force the seller to accept a return after he used the grid charger to balance his battery so he could sell the car. Why do you think he never responded with any facts or follow up to that thread? Because it never happened. Guy is a total douche.

Old 07-08-2021, 03:09 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ManieP
I actually know Matt Willenbrink from another group and know that he never even had his bcm "tested". He ended up having his multimeter set on the wrong settings (set to ohms resistance) and shorted out the wiring in his car. He said that he made that post in order to try and force the seller to accept a return after he used the grid charger to balance his battery so he could sell the car. Why do you think he never responded with any facts or follow up to that thread? Because it never happened. Guy is a total douche.
Matt here. Just came across this from a Google search of my name and thought I’d reply. Interesting how I’m assuming this previous post is by the MaxVolts seller. I work for a hardware technology company and myself, and my colleagues who tested the components are quite familiar with how to use a meter and can guarantee it was set correctly. We build IoT components for cities and the military, so this isn’t rocket science compared to my day to day.
After installing the balance charger, the fan would only run at full speed… all the time. It was January when I did this, so it wasn’t an ambient temp issue and definitely shouldn’t have been running at 100%. I re-confirmed the whole install and everything was hooked up as described in the instructions. After a couple of my colleagues looked over it, they confirmed it was hooked up as described, but had a few reservations about the setup (I don’t remember what exactly, as this was over a year ago). After removing the balance charger, the fan still ran at 100% whenever the car was on, so I swapped out the whole BCM with another one, and the fan issue was resolved. We then pulled apart the original and confirmed that I believe the can speed microcontroller within the BCM was cooked. We could have ordered a new component and replaced the fried one on the board, but it wasn’t with the hassle as I already had a whole new BCM installed and it wasn’t that expensive. Also hand working on the board would introduce some new variables for long term reliability I didn’t want to mess with.

I also never mentioned anything about wanting to sell the car- this was one I just purchased for my son. It’s still in our possession and runs great. I wanted to share my terrible customer service experience with the MaxVolts seller, who was of little to no help and got defensive and accusatory pretty quickly when he realized I had everything installed correctly. If you search the forums, you’ll find similar experiences.
my suspicion is he knows his design is flawed, or is problematic on certain makes/models and doesn’t want to admit it.
If figuring out the solution others have had and sharing my experience makes me a douche, then so be it.