HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Display Error

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 08:21 PM
Part Time Hybrids
Default Re: Display Error

I've heard everytime you read a book you get something more out of it.

Well I've read Tarabell's HCII guide and now reading it again I answer my own question with something I missed or didn't register at the time. The whole samba drop off. Guess I just have to live with it

If anyone has not read this work and drives an HCHII shame shame

Link: http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1306

Old 09-21-2007, 01:35 PM
Hybrid-Hugger

one solution- if you are getting good milage when you fill up- switch to temperature and you wont see those blipps happening <smile>.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It almost sounds like its trying to change to lit. per 100 kil.from MPG?

Old 09-24-2007, 06:46 AM

GaH. Mine did this a couple of times over the weekend. It was usually when I am going slow almost autostopping. When I do autostop, the mpg display rises about halfway then drops to zero. It must be some sort of display error. I hope it does not get worse.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AJR
Remember you have at least a 1.5 gal reserve after the last blip goes out!
Where did you find this out?
I've always went into panic mode when I have one bar left, not knowing how far I can push it...I go for the gas pump. Better safe than sorry.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:44 PM
Part Time Hybrids

Originally Posted by antinouskalisto
I've always went into panic mode when I have one bar left, not knowing how far I can push it...I go for the gas pump. Better safe than sorry.
If you look up the HCH II it will list a 13.7 gallon tank I think.

Your car book will say you have a 12 gallons or so. The extra gallon is not displayed via the gas meter. A sort of installed safety net for gas.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:29 AM

UPDATE: I have been able to reproduce this iFE error. I can make it happen when I am coasting down a hill, with mpg maxed out. When I get to the bottom of the hill and need to accelerate with the ICE and come out of EV mode, it begins to drop down to 1 bar. However, if I lift my foot off the accelerator, and reapply the same pressure, it rises back to the accurate level.
This error is in the iFE display ONLY. It does NOT affect the average mpg levels. This I know, because several times the iFE has been at 1 bar, and I am practically coasting. I look down and see my average mpg rising.

PS: regarding the gas tank, my last blip goes out at around 10 gallons. I usually go about 20-30 mi with no blips and fill up around 10.5 gallons.

Last edited by giantquesadilla; 11-07-2007 at 08:31 AM. Reason: PS
Old 11-09-2007, 12:06 AM
AJR
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by antinouskalisto
Sorry, I'm not getting email notifications anymore when someone replies to a thread I've posted in...

I don't remember where I saw this (approximate) number, but even by my own experiences, if my wife is in the car, she forces me to fillup when that last bar disappears! The 3 times I've filled up like this, I've put in 10.2, 10.3, and 10.2 gallons. This would actually be 2 gallons left in the tank (12.3 gallon tank). I know when the last blip goes out (usually around 510-520 miles) I can always make it to 610-650 miles on the tank. Average 50-53mpg works out to about 100-110 miles before I fillup, and when I do I fill with 11.9 to 12.4 - I fill to first click, then top off to the nearest $.50 or $.00.

I can say I have [what would be considered] run out of gas once. I knew I was extremely overdue to fillup but though I could make it 1 mile up the street to take care of a side job, then drive another 3/4 mile to the gas station. Well, as I turned onto the side street and went to step on the accelerator, I felt the engine shudder. I was doing about 18mph and I let off the accelerator, the lightly gave it a little and it seemed ok. As I went to make a u-turn to pull in front of the side job's house, it shuddered, then stalled. I coasted to a stop in front of the house. I had 7 bars on my battery and thought if I could get the car started when I finished the job, I could make it to the gas station. Well, when I was done, I got in the car and the ICE would start, but the second I touched the accelerator it would stall. I tried 3 times with no luck. So much for being able to get a mile or 2 on the battery if you run out of gas! The guy had a gas can with about 1/2 gallon of gas. I poured it into the tank, and I got worried because I still couldn't get the car to idle. So we took his 2.5 gallon gas can to the station and filled it up, then I put all that in the tank. I was relieved when it started and I was able to drive to the station. After putting in about 3 gallons from the gas cans, I still filled up with another 9.5 gallons. I think the other .1 gallon was used to fill the fuel line and fuel filter back up! Good to say I've never done that again!

Old 11-09-2007, 12:45 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I am going to start filling my car up every week. The reason behind this is the price of gas. Gas starts to climb near the weekends and drops on Monday (Wash, DC Area).

The other reason is to be more consistent with my fill ups. I usually fill my car up every 10-11 days. Depending on that day will decide if I pay 1 cent more per gallon or save 3 cents per gallon. I know that sound petty but money is money...

even though our dollar is now with about 93cents to the CND......err...

Old 11-09-2007, 09:32 PM

AJR: I always know that when my last blip goes out and I only have 500 mi, I know i have about 100 more. I can never go that far tho, fearing that my gas station cuts off early and isn't filling it up all the way. Maybe now that I know you have gone 100 mi with no blips, I can maybe make it to 50 or so.