HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Charging system help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 07:24 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Charging system help!

I did for a few minutes when i first started the vehicle.it went from 11.8 up to 12.6v and stopped there. I went and turned on the a.c. to see if that made a difference and it dropped to 11.9v. I never did do a volt check before the issues started so idk what it was before that as a reference. If anyone else knows the info would be handy.

Ill check it with the lights on tomorrow, and yes the 12v light is still on. Also i have had a trickle charger on it the entire time as well

Originally Posted by S Keith
Do you EVER see it higher than 12.6? Honda handles charging weirdly, and those numbers can be normal if you're seeing spikes at other times.

Get a Voltmeter and monitor it continuously.

Does it change when you turn your lights on?

And is your 12V light still on?

Old 08-17-2019, 07:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If you're running a charger WHILE the car is running, then you're not getting good info.

At this point it's looking like you need a new DC-DC converter. I've gone through the charging system troubleshooting chart in the manual, and it is possible for it to fail without producing codes.

Old 08-18-2019, 05:43 AM
Enthusiast

The charger was disconnected when i tested it the last time.

That trouble shooting chart is in the cars manual?

If you're running a charger WHILE the car is running, then you're not getting good info.

At this point it's looking like you need a new DC-DC converter. I've gone through the charging system troubleshooting chart in the manual, and it is possible for it to fail without producing codes.

Old 08-18-2019, 08:51 AM

Service manual

Old 12-04-2019, 12:15 PM
Enthusiast

I'm looking forward to a resolution of your 12v battery problem. Please I need a similar help for my 2006 Civic hybrid. I bought the car less than 6 weeks ago, never knew it was a hybrid. Mine is that whenever I enter a traffic congestion my 12v battery light comes on. If I off my engine and restart the car, the battery light will go off only to return again a little while while I'm still in traffic. However, when I exit the traffic congestion and drive off, the battery light will go off. This happens whether in hot or cold weather. A week after I purchased the car this was the same issue until my 12v battery discharged completely and the battery light refused to go. I had to change the dc to DC converter so my battery starts charging again. Please I need help on what to do to stop this incessant appearance of the 12v battery light especially during rush hours, as I don't want to buy another converter so soon again as it is quite expensive. I have never seen the IMA light come on.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:07 PM

1. Does the IMA light come on when you turn the key on prior to engine start?
  2. Does the check engine light come on when you turn the key on prior to engine start?
  3. Have you ever run diagnostics with a code reader?

Old 12-04-2019, 09:22 PM
Enthusiast

1. Does the IMA light come on when you turn the key on prior to engine start?
  2. Does the check engine light come on when you turn the key on prior to engine start?
  3. Have you ever run diagnostics with a code reader?
I have never seen the IMA light come on.
The check engine light comes on often, and clears by itself. Otherwise when any of the battery terminals is disconnected and reconnected, and the engine is restarted, the check engine light clears, but may reappear again after some time.
I had to run diagnostics during the first failure of the DC to DC converter. Codes P0A94 and P0A7F were diagnosed and I had to change the DC to DC converter. Since then everything has run fine, only for this intermittent reappearance of the 12v battery sign during traffic congestion

Old 12-04-2019, 09:44 PM

The IMA light should turn on when you first key on the ignition before engine start. If this doesn't happen, your IMA bulb is burned out, or the seller removed it to swindle you. Both of the codes you mentioned will illuminate the IMA light, so it should be on.

You're clearing the codes when you're disconnecting the 12V battery. Your IMA light SHOULD be on. You almost certainly have a persistent P0A7F.

You have a failed hybrid battery with P0A7F. You are only getting 12V charging between approximately 1500 and 3500 rpm. This is normal for a significantly degraded hybrid battery that has been disconnected from the HV system. The 12V will only charge when the IMA motor output is in a certain range. At idle, it's too low and at higher rpm, it's too high. In both cases, the

You have 3 options:

1) Ignore it. Install a
voltmeter voltmeter
in the power port and monitor your 12V. Do everything you can to keep the rpm in the 12V charging range. Periodically put a 12V charger on it overnight to keep it topped up.
2) Replace hybrid battery.
3) Install an alternator (lots of custom fabrication and know-how required).

Old 12-05-2019, 03:25 AM
Enthusiast

The IMA light should turn on when you first key on the ignition before engine start. If this doesn't happen, your IMA bulb is burned out, or the seller removed it to swindle you. Both of the codes you mentioned will illuminate the IMA light, so it should be on.

You're clearing the codes when you're disconnecting the 12V battery. Your IMA light SHOULD be on. You almost certainly have a persistent P0A7F.

You have a failed hybrid battery with P0A7F. You are only getting 12V charging between approximately 1500 and 3500 rpm. This is normal for a significantly degraded hybrid battery that has been disconnected from the HV system. The 12V will only charge when the IMA motor output is in a certain range. At idle, it's too low and at higher rpm, it's too high. In both cases, the

You have 3 options:

1) Ignore it. Install a voltmeter in the power port and monitor your 12V. Do everything you can to keep the rpm in the 12V charging range. Periodically put a 12V charger on it overnight to keep it topped up.
2) Replace hybrid battery.
3) Install an alternator (lots of custom fabrication and know-how required).
Thank you for your submission. In fact, I just noticed that when the red battery indicator appears and I pack the car and Rev the rpm to 1500 for some seconds, the red battery indicator disappears.

However, I've never seen the IMA light on. But the IMA assist white bars work. Could the IMA assist work if my IMA battery is faulty?

Well, I'm going to try to raise the rpm to at least 1500, but that will make my engine a little high.

Old 12-05-2019, 06:24 AM

Again, if you go to your vehicle, turn the key to the ON position without starting, ALL the dash lights will light up. If the IMA light does not illuminate, it is removed or burned out.

When you clear the codes as you describe with the 12V battery reset, you may get limited IMA function.
  1. Do the assist and charge bars work ALL the time?
  2. Does the car start smoothly/instantly with the IMA battery, or does it crank like a regular car?
  3. Does the autostop work?
Stop disconnecting the 12V when the CEL illuminates. Next time it happens, take it to O'Reilly Auto Parts (not Autozone) and have them check the codes for free.

P0A7F had NOTHING to do with your DC-DC converter. P0A7F is for a failed hybrid battery. The behavior you describe confirms your DC-DC is functioning as designed when the IMA battery has failed.

Quick Reply: Charging system help!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands