HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Braking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 08:44 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Braking Noise

I am experiencing the same problem with my 2006 Civic hybrid. I have an appointment with my dealer this Friday. I have seen several postings regarding this issue, but not the definitive root cause and fix. Does anyone have the answer?

Old 10-04-2006, 05:33 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Stephen,

A major part of the braking system was replaced, though I am not exactly sure which. I have yet to get a print out of the work. My Service Manager called it the whole Master Cylinder system. It eliminated the problem for 300 km. Then it came back. Though not near as frequently as earlier. Now I notice it during a relatively hard brake -- say after coming off the highway. I mostly use the brake gently to decelerate, and now wonder if it is about the pressure exerted. It definitely has to do with the brakes, not some nefarious noise coming from under the dash. And it is not consistent which makes it all the more tricky to figure out. But it is definitely there.

Try adjusting your braking habits to see if this does anything. The techs and managers don't really have a clue to what this is; neither does Honda.

Hope this illuminates, Cam

Old 10-04-2006, 09:02 PM
Enthusiast

count me in this "bug" also. I noticed it about a week after picking up (8/27/06) then today, pulling into parking place. If I don't brake hard, I don't hear it.

But when applying more pressure, I hear it when I apply the brake AND when I lift my foot off. ... is this the same thing? hopefully okay? I'm driving from LA to San Francisco on Friday... getting a bit nervous after all these posts.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:06 PM
'06 HCH Owner

Originally Posted by Cam Leslie
Hi Stephen,

A major part of the braking system was replaced, though I am not exactly sure which. I have yet to get a print out of the work. My Service Manager called it the whole Master Cylinder system. It eliminated the problem for 300 km. Then it came back. Though not near as frequently as earlier. Now I notice it during a relatively hard brake -- say after coming off the highway. I mostly use the brake gently to decelerate, and now wonder if it is about the pressure exerted. It definitely has to do with the brakes, not some nefarious noise coming from under the dash. And it is not consistent which makes it all the more tricky to figure out. But it is definitely there.

Try adjusting your braking habits to see if this does anything. The techs and managers don't really have a clue to what this is; neither does Honda.

Hope this illuminates, Cam
So they still did not fix the problem? It seems as though there will never be a fix because no one can figure it out and you were the first person that had someone finally have an idea of what it was, but it is still sqeaking.

It almost feels/sounds as though air is leaking. It makes the sound and then it seems like my brake pedal drops much lower instead of gradually.

Old 10-05-2006, 05:48 AM
Enthusiast

I had a technician check out the brakes because I was worried about failure too. He told me it was safe to drive. I have not experienced anything out of the ordinary.

Old 10-05-2006, 05:52 AM
Enthusiast

The problem is not fixed, just reduced. This is in part because of a change in my braking style. I agree that it sounds like the air (or whatever) is leaking. And I agree that the brake pedal drops quickly when the noise is heard. I hadn't thought about it so I am glad you mentioned it.

Originally Posted by MWAMAC
So they still did not fix the problem? It seems as though there will never be a fix because no one can figure it out and you were the first person that had someone finally have an idea of what it was, but it is still sqeaking.

It almost feels/sounds as though air is leaking. It makes the sound and then it seems like my brake pedal drops much lower instead of gradually.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:12 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have it too. My dealer sucks though so until someone here has an answer as to what it really is, I am not going to aggrivate myself.

Old 12-08-2006, 07:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

My 2007 makes this noise as well.

looking in the Helm manual there is a spring with a sleeve over it. If the spring is sliding in this sleeve it could be making some noise like a "fart"

there is also what appears to be a large rubber boot connected to what they are calling the stroke simulator, this could trap a volume of air and release it causing the sound I have been hearing.

I will get under the dash tomorrow and see what I can see.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:46 PM
Enthusiast

This is a fascinating thread. I just started noticing the "fart" as my car nears 8k miles and the outside temperature has dropped. I though that it was related to the colder weather, but now I'll be sure to mention it when the car goes in for service again.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

My 2007 w/ 2k miles on it also does this. Drives me crazy, did it more when warm vs. cold so I dont think temp is a factor. Some days it does not occur, others every other stop.

When you brake and it makes crazy noises this is an issue Honda should take swift action on - especially when so many are experiencing it.

Quick Reply: Braking Noise

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands