HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Block Heater results?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Block Heater results?

Here is finally some visual proof that my Block Heater was not only plugged in overnight but that it definitely warms the engine bay of the car (it warms the coolant which then warms the engine bay as shown here). The overnight temps were abour 24 F and prior to leaving at 11 AM it was 30 F but I finally remember to snap a photo of the Block Heater proof of operation. I have a nose mask on the car but you can see the lines of the bracing under the hood as it made a design in the snow on the hood. Sweet.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:04 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Maybe I missed them, but where is the link to the .pdf files that detail the installation that are referenced in this install? How much coolant must I buy to replace? Thanks!!

Old 02-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Enthusiast

I got mine installed yesterday, temps have been in the mid 20's here and when I let the car completely cool down I plugged it in. After about 3-4 hrs. On the block heater I went out and checked the temp. It was on 3 bars. Alright I guess. So last night I plugged it in for the overnight to work today. Got into the car and had a big fat zero on the temp gauge, 1 single bar, which I think is standard when starting.
Questions, Do the heaters stay on all night if plugged directly into a 12 ft. extension cord (12ga.) with no timer. I was figuring on some warmth this morning and got none.
I am running another test as we speak. The extension is getting power so that can't be it. I tested its output and seems fine. Could it be a defective? I bought it off of Bernardi and had the Dealer Install it. Would the Dealer replace it if it is or charge me for a new one if defective? Also, I have to look again but it seems like it was not routed the way the .pdf says to do it.
Would the Dealership replace it or would I have to contact Bernardi if it truly does not work?
I intended on using a timer but haven't got one yet, what max wattage should I get?
Do these thing cycle periodically throughout the night?

Thanks.

Last edited by Marine1; 02-15-2008 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:48 PM
Enthusiast

Went it checked it again. Checked all connections from the wall all the way to the block heater itself. They are good.

I reached down and felt the block heater with my hand and it is slightly warm and thats it. Still get 1 bar on gauge after 10 hrs plugged in.

What to do now? Since I bought it at Bernardi and had it Dealer installed?
Will the Dealer replace it because its an OEM Honda part free of charge or am I SOL and have to pay to have a new one installed?

Anyone!!!

Last edited by Marine1; 02-15-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Steve:

Question 1:
Do you have a multimeter so that you can test the block heater?

Question 2:
What have your ambient temperatures been?

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 02-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Enthusiast

The last two days the ambient temperature has been 5 degrees F in the morning and during the day is has been around 30 degrees F and there is no difference. I do have a multimeter.

Right now it is 20 degrees outside and it has been plugged in all day. Just went and checked it again and it is showing 1 bar when I start it up. Lifted the hood and reached down to the block heater element and can squeeze it and not be uncomfortable. It is somewhat warm but not hot.

Thanks for responding......... I am very disappointed with this so far and am very frustrated.

Last edited by Marine1; 02-15-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

OK, you have to tame your expectations a little.

First of all, just ignore the temperature gauge in your car. It is irrelevant and useless to assess the performance of your block heater. It just does not work that way, at least at those ambient temperatures.

If you really want to measure the coolant temperature increase that results from the use of a block heater you need a ScanGauge or similar device.

So now, lets find out if there's anything wrong with the block heater. Do the following: Use your multimeter in the OHM's setting to measure the resistance between the two pins in your block heater plug. Tell me what the resistance reading is.

We're almost there.

Cheers;

MSantos

Last edited by msantos; 02-15-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:48 PM
Enthusiast

Reading from the cord coming out the front of the car reads 33.3 when I tested it.

Last edited by Marine1; 02-15-2008 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:59 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Perfect.

Your block heater is in awesome shape... as in "nothing is wrong with it".

Now, with 5F ambient the block heater will warm up the engine to roughly 52F. You have to remember that the block heater is actually warming up the entire engine and doing its best to keep it warmer than the ambient temps.
So, if you touch the engine around the block heater area it will always feel lukewarm, but never too hot. That's all. it may not seem much, but it does wonders for your fuel economy.

Also, having the engine warm up to 52F simply means that the temp is not even registered by the car's gauge at all and will always show as a 1 pip measure on the scale. Car's gauge only begins to display 2 or more pips at around 100F.

Don't worry. Just plug it in and measure the benefits by the results you get. if you really want to measure the effect of the block heater you need a scangauge. It is well worth the cost.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 02-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks msantos. I guess I got a bit discouraged when I saw some posts where people said 5 bars on startup etc.....

Quick Reply: Block Heater results?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands