HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Battery Dumps it's charge after vehicle is parked.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 08:36 PM
AJR
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery Dumps it's charge after vehicle is parked.

Originally Posted by owlmaster08
I miss the way my HCH used to be...
Don't we all!

Old 10-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Update: dropped my HCHII at the dealer for the appointment tomorrow...was told there will be a $106 diagnostic/troubleshooting fee if the problem is not under warranty. I told him that my IMA system is still good under the 5 year warranty. His response was depending on what the problem was it "may or may not be under warranty." He obviously was sticking to a line.

If they end up not doing anything and charging me $106 I'm going to be pretty upset.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:05 PM
AJR
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by owlmaster08
If they end up not doing anything and charging me $106 I'm going to be pretty upset.
Not to be negative, but be prepared to be upset. If there are no dash lights on, I can almost guarantee they will find nothing wrong, at which point they will charge you. Have some documented proof because the Honda service techs still know NOTHING about hybrids and will give you some bogus advice they pulled out of their a$$.

I had videos and documentation of what my vehicle was doing, but because the 6 hours they had it they "couldn't reproduce the problem" I was billed. I started up and drove away and it did a recal as I was pulling out of the Honda parking lot!

I'd suggest having the 800 number for AHC handy to call when they hand you the $106 bill. Not sure what they can do for you as they did nothing for me, but it's worth a shot.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:08 PM

I had 5 recals today...2 to work, 2 on the way home, and 1 on the way to the dealer. If they can't find anything wrong (and like you said they probably won't) then I don't know what to say.

When I explained the situation to him it seemed like I was speaking a foreign language...Like you said, I see this not ending well.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

That is a bummer... this is -exactly- why I gave up on BOTH of my nearby Honda dealers. I asked them about the control arm TSB (which was clearly a defect - it destroyed some expensive goodyear tires), and in return they give me a quote for $600 to fix the control arms.

Also I paid for a CVT fluid change and asked about the 'Windshield wiper' TSB that my HCH was doing, and they said 'its out of warranty but we'll give you a quote to fix it'. It was a proven defect with solution but Honda doesn't care. They want to charge customers for their own screw-ups.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:46 PM

Oh, and I'm seriously thinking of selling the car now assuming I'm not going to be helped by Honda. One problem is I don't know if I could live with myself selling the car in the condition it is in. I suppose I could pay the $1800 to get the "better battery" from the place in NYC and then sell it.

The second problem is I don't know what I would replace it with. I was trying not to jump on the prius bandwagon but I can recognize a superior product and company.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

Owl - I believe your re-cal issue might be fixed with a 'grid-charge' to re-balance the cells. (this would be basically free if you can find someone nearby with a charger). I'm in the process of proving this out with my old pack. The Honda Insight people have been doing this for a couple years now. Here's one of the discussions:
http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...-balancer.html

Many people say a grid charge got rid of their re-cals, and even their IMA light and error codes.

Last edited by hunter44102; 10-11-2011 at 04:50 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:03 AM

It looks like the main organizer in that thread lives probably only 30-45 minutes max from me...That's a long thread!

Old 10-11-2011, 07:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

Also - read this first post (and thread), I think he does the best explanation of what happens to the cells and why the grid charger helps:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...vic-13610.html