HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Battery Dumps it's charge after vehicle is parked.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery Dumps it's charge after vehicle is parked.

A problem with the 12v battery can impact the computer, which can make the car act odd. It happened to me. Replace the 12v battery if there is any doubt.

Regarding the software upgrades.... I have a 2006 and the dealer has performed the software upgrades several time at no charge. Having said that you might want to ask what is being upgraded.... it seems clear to me and others ....that the purpose of some of the upgrades may be to mask when the hybrid battery starts to get marginal.

It's a long story but Honda America replaced the hybrid battery after some back and forth even though there were no error codes. I suspect that had the original software not been updated there would have been errors codes.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by runchadrun
They are charging me $100 to do the software upgrade, saying it's not covered under the warranty or under Honda Care. Should I be charged for this upgrade?
I've had updates twice (at least) and never been charged a dime.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by runchadrun
I took it to the dealer this morning and they said the 12v battery needs changing and it needs a software upgrade. They are charging me $100 to do the software upgrade, saying it's not covered under the warranty or under Honda Care. Should I be charged for this upgrade?
Following up on my own post, I called American Honda and they said it should have been covered under the emissions warranty, which in California is 15/150. They emailed the service manager to this effect. I also talked to the service advisor about it who said he would look into it further. He called me a little bit ago to confirm that it was covered and they will be refunding the charge.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dwichman
@runchadrun - did they say software updates in general are covered by the emissions warranty, or this one in particular? You also did not have any IMA or engine lights come on, correct?

Taking my HCHII in tomorrow for IMA and engine light and I'm pretty confident they will suggest software update. Just want to be armed with the right knowledge in case they try and charge me for it.

I also assume the warranty would cover the diagnostics fee for checking the error codes in this case?
I can only speak for my update, which was marked as "performed ECM updates for computer on vehicle" on my invoice. YMMV. I really don't know about a diagnostics fee. Also, I'm in California and those states with CA emissions requirements have a much more generous warranty than in other states.

Edit: I forgot to answer one of your questions. No, I had no IMA or CEL lights come on. I was just experiencing general weirdness (not holding a charge, charge level changing spontaneously, forced regen when there were 5 bars) with my IMA battery,

Last edited by runchadrun; 06-17-2010 at 03:31 PM. Reason: added additional info
Old 07-01-2010, 08:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

OMG. I am so happy to find this thread. I am just about to hit 100k (2007 HCH II) and my IMA battery has been exhibiting these same symptoms for the past month or so. I though I was imagining it, or it was the heat (which does seem to make the problem worse). No light has ever come on but the charge drops (every time I drive); acceleration is sluggish when I lose the bars; I completely lost ALL bars once (which was kind of scary); MPG has dropped noticeably; and even after it recharges it doesn't hold the charge well. Called the dealer this a.m. to set up an app't. They told me the battery for the 2007 HCH has a 10 year/150K warranty in CA - phew (because by the time I drove to the dealer today I would probably be at 100,005). Thank you all!

Old 07-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EVDRVR2
The dealer isn't going to do anything serious that they aren't going to get paid for you or by Honda. Honda Corporate seems to have a pretty good track record when it comes to customer support. Hopefully they will make sure that they are doing software revisions for the right reasons.
Hondas track record for the 2006+ civic hybrids is to flash the computers so that the IMA light doesn't come on and avoid an immediate replacement of the battery pack. And if you complain they have told the dealers to run "tests" and all of these come up normal, even though we are getting 30mpg, daily recal, and have no power, so again they dont replace the battery pack.
In summary, their current track record stinks. As soon as the service manager responds to me, I will be informing him and Honda of their so called "customer support".

Old 07-19-2010, 02:12 PM
Enthusiast

Update on my previous post:

Since the software was updated my MPG has been in the low 30s and the battery performance has been worse than ever. The original problem was that it didn't hold a charge overnight. Now the charge status lights seem to be on at random. Since I drive the same hill (Sepulveda Pass) every day to and from work I know where the lights should be at any given point, and they show full charge when it should be discharged and vice-versa. It seems to recalibrate once or twice a day and go into forced regen when at 5 or 6 bars. The IMA seems to never kick in when it used to and I'm regularly hitting 4-5,000 RPMs when accelerating.

Over the weekend I drove to the Bay Area and back via the Grapevine. Coming south over the Grapevine, where I would normally start with 4 or 5 bars, it had 6 bars yet drew no power from the IMA the entire uphill trip. After the car had been parked for 1.5 hours I drove it to dinner and heard a fan in the back seat, which I had never heard before.

I took it to the dealer today. Different service guy than the one who charged me for the software upgrade (still working on a refund) since he no longer works there. The guy said it passed all their tests and that there is indeed a fan back there when the battery gets hot. (He had to call Honda about that because he didn't know there was a fan there either.) So he's saying that there's nothing they (the dealer) can do and that i have to get a paper trail going for Honda to replace the battery.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Had mine replaced last Thursday. Car DEFINITELY seems peppier when accelerating and IMA charge indicators seem much more "normal." My mileage, however, has not improved and a 48 mile commute where i used to get 45-48 MPG is still hovering around 39-40 MPG (although this is only commute day #2 after replacement and the weather is beastly hot, for what that's worth).

Old 07-19-2010, 09:45 PM
Enthusiast

The last two posts are my same experience. I just got my IMA battery replaced, 6 days ago, after two months of arguing with Honda, an online video and threats of trading it into Toyota.
Mine is peppier with more assist but battery drains faster than normal. I still dont get 50 mpg to and from work like I used to, even in the summer. I am getting about 40mpg.
BTW, I have never heard this fan in the back.
I took my Honda in for an oil change in Feburary of this year, which they did computer updates also. I am wondering if this was the beginning of my car problems. It seems to correlate.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

you could try checking if your fan is running after you get out, I notice it running a extra long time, and starting and turning it off does turn it off, honda has a under size battery,and on a civic a lower battery wouldn't be notice

Quick Reply: Battery Dumps it's charge after vehicle is parked.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands