HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Bablateration

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 09:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Bablateration

Speaking of racing Prius'... I saw a Prius with a slight modification yesterday. A nice big "V-8" emblem on the grille! Great sense of humor!

Old 12-11-2006, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bablateration
Greetings,

I've recently purchased a Honda 2006 Civic Hybrid W/navi in Silver. So far no complaints. I am very impressed with the cars functionality and more importantly the economy. so far on the first tank of 87 fuel I have managed an average of 44.1 mpg over 465 miles. Mostly highway. I was experimenting a lot with drafting behind traffic and turning the a/c on and off. I was driving at speeds from 60-85 mph and found that to really maximize efficiency you must stay around 50-60 mph with the ac off. Unfortunately I am a Floridian and this will not be tolerated. I have just put in 11 gallons of 93 octane and I plan to use the a/c so that I am comfortable. Updates to come!!!

Oh no... not this again. You will find 87 octane gas giving you better milage. 93 will not give you better mpg, you will probably get worst milage because the motor was not designed for this.

87 "cheap gas" doesn't mean that it's cheap on quality.

93 DOES NOT MEAN better gas.

Seeing that you like to expirement and ignore what everybody is telling you, why don't you conduct a test and run your car for a month on 87 and another month on 93. You will not ever get this car to ping or knock on 87 octane even if you red line it. Please keep in mind the temp range. This is huge factor.

Out of curiousity, why do you think 93 octane gas is "better" for a car that was never meant to use it?

Last edited by livvie; 12-11-2006 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Happy Hybrid Owner
Question Re: Bablateration

It is a good thing that Babla... is trying the higher octane fuel, why not?

Is it possible that having two spark plugs on each cylinder helps avoid the engine knocking [with the high octane] and actually improves performance?

Originally Posted by hybridcars.com
More efficient combustion: The Civic Hybrid uses eight spark plugs that operate in two modes: sometimes they fire one after the other, with the plug situated near the intake valve firing first and the exhaust plug firing later. Flexibility with the firing order allows for a more complete combustion of fuel in the cylinder.
http://www.hybridcars.com/compacts-s...-overview.html

Old 12-11-2006, 04:55 PM
Enthusiast

I really have no reason for using the 93 other than the fact that I am a stubborn speed phreak. I've always had a fast car or morotcycle and I am just used to using it. Maybe I will do a trial 87 after the temp warms up and I get more consistent with my driving. I will let you know.

Old 12-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

I don't understand why habit alone would compel you to use a fuel that contains less energy and costs more. Ultimately you can do as you please, but why spend more and get less? At the end of the day your only accomplishment by this action is providing a higher profit margin for the oil companies.

As for being a speed freak, you wont go any faster on a higher octane fuel so that is a moot point.

Old 12-11-2006, 05:04 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by twuelfing
I don't understand why habit alone would compel you to use a fuel that contains less energy and costs more. Ultimately you can do as you please, but why spend more and get less? At the end of the day your only accomplishment by this action is providing a higher profit margin for the oil companies.

As for being a speed freak, you wont go any faster on a higher octane fuel so that is a moot point.
Oh well.... What is is.

Old 12-11-2006, 05:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

in the interest of understanding, are you saying that you are going to continue to buy premium fuel, because thats what you have done in the past, even though it costs more,you wont get the same mileage by using it, and the performance of the vehicle is not enhanced by its usage?

if the above is true i am astonished and perplexed.

Old 12-11-2006, 05:37 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by twuelfing
in the interest of understanding, are you saying that you are going to continue to buy premium fuel, because thats what you have done in the past, even though it costs more,you wont get the same mileage by using it, and the performance of the vehicle is not enhanced by its usage?

if the above is true i am astonished and perplexed.
Don't be perplexed. I am just abnormal and spend money freely.

Old 12-12-2006, 07:27 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner
Unhappy Re: Bablateration

High Octane can actually cause engine damage:

http://www.automedia.com/High/Octane...cr20050501ok/1

Originally Posted by automedia.com
Instead of one even burn propelling the piston back down the cylinder to make power, two out-of-time-explosions are competing against each other. The sound this competition creates is known as knocking, pinging, or detonation and is unfortunately the sound of engine damage!

Old 12-12-2006, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bablateration
I really have no reason for using the 93 other than the fact that I am a stubborn speed phreak. I've always had a fast car or morotcycle and I am just used to using it. Maybe I will do a trial 87 after the temp warms up and I get more consistent with my driving. I will let you know.

Why settle for 93? Why not get 107... eventually you will understand that octane has nothing to do with speed, in fact higher octane gas does not pack more energy. The only reason for higher octane gas if for engines with a higher compression ratio... which the hybrid does not have.

Another way to look at this, say you could increase octane so that it's pure octane that you are pumping into your car, guess what, your car won't start. There is an optimum level of octane and 87 is it. Anything else hurts everything, performance, mpg, cost, etc.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands