HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Bablateration

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 04:49 PM
Enthusiast
Default Bablateration

Greetings,

I've recently purchased a Honda 2006 Civic Hybrid W/navi in Silver. So far no complaints. I am very impressed with the cars functionality and more importantly the economy. so far on the first tank of 87 fuel I have managed an average of 44.1 mpg over 465 miles. Mostly highway. I was experimenting a lot with drafting behind traffic and turning the a/c on and off. I was driving at speeds from 60-85 mph and found that to really maximize efficiency you must stay around 50-60 mph with the ac off. Unfortunately I am a Floridian and this will not be tolerated. I have just put in 11 gallons of 93 octane and I plan to use the a/c so that I am comfortable. Updates to come!!!

Old 10-02-2006, 07:23 PM
Wo ai Zheng!
Default Re: Bablateration

Welcome to the crowd, B! I'm sure others will chime in before long, but your first tank was a pretty good one, especially for running the a/c. Anyways, here's some quick tips (since I don't have linkages to the two most popular articles, I'm sure they'll get tagged shortly)

1. Check your tire pressure. Odds are the dealer has them at the standard 32/35. You can up that to max sidewall (44 or 51, depending on which tires you got) to improve mpg, handling, and wet traction, but doing so also increases road noise (potentially to where your voice activation cues won't work, Anahymbrid can tell you all about that) and vulnerability to road debris and potholes.

2. Skip the high octane gas. No need for 93oct in our engines, and it won't do a thing for your mileage. The only reason high octane exists is because it resists premature detonation (aka knocks and pings) in high compression (sportster) engines. We don't have a high performance engine, so it's of no benefit to us. You'll probably see an improvement in this tank, but that's just the car continuing the break-in process.

3. Slow down. You're going to get there eventually, and if someone passes you along the way, well, just smile to yourself as you think "Double the speed, square the resistance." Kenny, despite living in Cali, still hasn't been shot despite a perverse phobia of going any faster than 53mph on the freeway.

4. Get used to your car, then learn some of the basic "hypermile" techniques. It'll be hard to use DWL (driving with load) in Florida simply because it's rather flat, but DWB (driving without brakes) and P&G (pulse and glide) are things you can add relatively easily. This car is not going to leap from a stop light the way a V6 will, so unless you've been driving a Yugo your whole life, it'll take some getting used to. Also take it easy on the drafting at first. You make it sound like you've done it before, but I still think people ought to get used to the car before slipping behind a semi in traffic.

(edit, add) 5. Unless you really need to be at a chilly 72 degrees, if the weather outside is agreeable, you can get quite a breeze by leaving your driver's side windows closed, and opening the two passenger side windows about an inch or two each. That should help reduce your need for the a/c, pushing your mpg.

Again, welcome to the gang. I'm sure you'll find a lot of folks swamping you with other suggestions before long

Last edited by mmrmnhrm; 10-02-2006 at 07:27 PM. Reason: added thought
Old 10-02-2006, 07:26 PM
06 HCH Opal Blue Pearl

I don't think you will see any changes with the extra 20 cents per gallon for the 93 octane gas. The little engine sure won't notice it, and the electric motor will wonder what you are up to.

Yea, you will have a tough time keeping good mileage doing 85...in any car. I don't have any issues as long as I keep it around the 65 mph speed limit (around here at least). Course its even better at 60...but who wants to get run over!!

I will have had mine a year next month. Best tank has been in the low 50's. Average in the last 10 months, 48 mpg at the pump.

Have fun,

Bob, about 14k miles so far.

Old 10-03-2006, 12:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mmrmnhrm
doing so also increases road noise (potentially to where your voice activation cues won't work, Anahymbrid can tell you all about that)
Quite true! It's either the tire pressure or just that "Judy" (the name my son gave to the NAVI voice) chooses to ignore me. I have that affect on lots of women .

Old 10-03-2006, 04:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

I get around 50mpg (52 on the last two tanks, 50.5 on the last 5), and I never turn the AC off. (it's not always on because it's not always hot, but still). I refuse to have a modern car that I can't use the modern equipment on.

Anyway, once the car breaks in and you find the best way to maximize fuel economy you'll be fine. I drive a good mix of city and highway on rolling hills with AC on, and about 65-67 on the highway, and I've got a lifetime average of 49, so don't sweat it. (literally). Also, definitely don't use the high octane gas. My dealer even said over the lifetime of the engine it would do more harm than good.

Oh, and my first tank was around 45 as well, so you'll be fine once you and the car break in a bit.

Last edited by JordanCS; 10-03-2006 at 04:05 AM.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:23 PM
F**k ExxonMobil

welcome, blaberator

Old 10-04-2006, 04:31 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the welcome. I am curious as to what people are using for music files. which audio card is best and will fit. I am thinking of doing some dminor speaker upgrades.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:36 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

I didn't get the navi, so I'm limited to MP3 and WMA on a burned CD. Stock speakers sound just fine to me, and from other threads, I gather that getting things set 'just right' if you get the Honda bass boost kit can be a bit tricky. I'm not too sure what you mean by 'audio card', since the navi system would just read the files off whatever media you feed it.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The NAVI system has a PCMCIA card reader slot. I bought a Sandisk reader to use with my SD cards. Unfortunately, of the five SD cards I own, the NAVI only likes one of 'em... and it's only 256MB. The others (including on sandisk 1GB) it WON'T recognize. When I put the pair (reader and card) into my laptop, it's just fine... so it's got to be the NAVI.

Even with the working card, I still have occasional problems. It even froze up my NAVI once. I keep it in the car, just in case I want to play something, but it's in the center console... NEVER stored in the card slot!

That said, plenty of other folks have had good luck with the cards. Seems most have CF cards that work flawlessly... some have even successfully used the microdrives.

For me, I can fit all I need on an MP3 CD.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:42 PM
Enthusiast

Done my first tank of the 87 crap to break it in. Past the first tank of 93 where I verified that the speed limiter did in fact work and turned on promptly at 112 mph and raced around a new developing neighborhood (no houses)realizing that I do have a new found respect for the little hybrid that can. Currently on a new tank of 93 yippee.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands