HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Auto Stop then turn off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 12:40 AM
AJR
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Auto Stop then turn off?

Nice explanation on the current noise. It freaked me out the first few days I had the car... just over a year later I don't even notice it anymore!

As far as the Auto-Stop then shut-off, EVERYWHERE I go I make sure I can pull into a spot that I can auto-stop while pulling in and coast. Then my routine is:

1) Turn the key back to the first notch (can't remove the key without it being in park).

2) Put the car in park

3) Turn the key the rest of the way so I can remove it

4) Unlock the door and get out.

I have never had a problem doing the above. I don't believe you have to put it in N first before turning off the key.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

I always turn it off in Drive with autostop, seems to save some gas and battery power (not having to turn the car back on.)

Can anyone see anything wrong with this? People have been turning their cars off in drive to increase their gas mileage for a while, and I don't know of any problems it can cause.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:32 AM
World's First Hybrid

Originally Posted by limey6413
Hey. So far, I love the HCHII. Yesterday I did a 37 mile trip @ 54.4mpg, with only 200 miles on the odo, love it.

Anyhow, the one thing that has seemed silly to me, is that when I come into my driveway, because it is sloping down towards where my carport is, I am coasting/braking for the last 30 feet or so and the car usually goes into auto stop until I am in parking position. Which seems great but then I shift into Park and it starts up again, only to be shut off by me. I know this isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it seems wasteful to have a startup for no reason.

Any way to prevent this? Turn off car in Neutral and then shift to Park? Is that ok?

Thanks,

All you need to do is turn off the ignition before you put the transmission into park or N. Once the ignition switch is "off", you can then apply the parking brake, put it into "P" , and finish locking the igniton switch.

Limey6413

Old 07-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by limey6413

Any way to prevent this? Turn off car in Neutral and then shift to Park? Is that ok?

Thanks,

Limey6413
Brilliant! Some things are so obvious. I had been annoyed by this trait, and you just solved it for me.

What does anyone think is the purpose of the engine refiring when put in Park from Auto Stop? It makes no sense.

I guess it's because you have to go "through" Reverse to get there, but it seems like there could be an over-ride if AutoStop is on, and your foot is on the brake, it could wait 1/2 sec or so in Rev before kicking on the engine.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Speed Controller Whine

Originally Posted by mdarmistead
Slightly Technical Explanation:

As the drive steps up the speed, the motor can be heard to actually play a scale (albeit a little off key) as the frequency changes in small steps.
What scale does it play? Major, minor, diminished, chromatic?