HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

auto stop

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Enthusiast
Default auto stop

Is it normal to notice the auto stop when you are coming to a stop. When you are driving and take your foot off the gas and then try to accelerate are you supposed to notice the engine come back on(kinda a little jerk.)

Old 11-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: auto stop

If your paying attention to what is going on,yes. H

Old 11-30-2008, 04:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

...but let the engine come on first, then give it some gas. Don't try to gas it as the engine is coming on or it will jerk.

Jess

Old 11-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Yes. If you're coasting to a stop with light brake pressure, autostop will typically engage at 7mph. The fun is if you're going downhill, you can reduce brake pressure enough that AS will remain active, but you'll actually accelerate. I've gotten to about 20mph, but have heard of people getting even higher

Old 02-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Enthusiast

I've been thinking (day dreaming), a switch on the shift button in parallel with the brake switch. That way one could start coasting with zero breaking. Just press the button like you were going to go into N and hold it.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:40 PM

I notice that the AUTOSTOP will activate at around 7 mph as per mmrmnhrm.

AUTOSTOP not only turn ICE off, but also disengages the gear thus vehicle will be in N and could drift longer before coming to a complete stop. Of course, one must not step too hard on the brakes else the mechanical brake pads will come into action to slow the car down to a complete stop.

If we decide to continue before car comes to a complete stop, i.e. car still in motion less than 7mph, we will feel the gears being engage when the ICE kicks back in.

I do not think this is good. I would rather force car to a complete stop or close to near stop before releasing the brake pedal to restart ICE. Alternatively, I put to shift stick to 2 so that my hybrid won't go into AUTOSTOP. I would only do this if I see that the traffic is only slowing momentarily else we'll be wasting gas.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yeah, I think 2008 Honda CIvic Hybrid has the right idea. Whenever I know that I will want the ICE back on soon (like if a light is changing, or if I come to a 4 way stop), I slide the stick into "S" so the ICE doesn't autostop. If you let it autostop and then start right back up again you are wasting charge, and possibly a little gas too.

That being said, I don't think that rolling at sub 7mph and letting the ICE come back on, and then giving gas is hard on the tranny--Honda is pretty conservative in their design and they have had CVT problems on earlier generations, so I'm sure that thought went into the design.