71+
1.11%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Age?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 08:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Age?

Using that logic you should get 75MPG w/ Diesel Hybrid.
My father asked me why they don't make diesel hybrids. Does anyone know??

Old 08-13-2007, 09:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

There are some diesel hybrids out there, but I think they're all limited test fleets for now.

One of the reasons is expense. Diesel engines are generally 1k more expensive than an equivalent gasoline engine. Making that diesel engine green (especially if you want to be able to sell it in places like CA) adds more $$ for the special emissions equipment.

Another is diesel engines are not as perfect a fit to hybridize than gas engines. Gas engines generally don't have alot of low end torque, something the electric motor in the hybrid can make up for. Diesel engines have plenty of torque to go around so you don't gain much torque wise by adding an electric motor.

Still I'd love to get a diesel hybrid some day, fill it up with biodiesel and be totally carbon neutral.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wick1ert
I got a steal on that car, and loved the 30MPG around town compared to my 18 I was getting. Now I'm onto my first brand new 07 HCH. It is awesome!
Good for you! Going from 18 to 30 to 45 is fantastic! You're just the kind of story I like to hear on this site.

I always make a smart comment to the extent of "45 MPG, not too bad this time!". Then I gotta make a quick get-a-way before they get too mad!
Living dangerously, I see. It's not always a good idea to aggravate wounded animals, and any SUV owner standing at a gas pump is about as close to being wounded as people generally get. I'd rather feel sorry for them, even though it's a self-inflicted wound.

I'm still learning the fun you can have with a hybrid and the gas savings. However, I leared that with my Geo Metro the faster you go, the crappier the gas mileage. You've got to weigh the cost of time vs. gas savings at some point though.
It's not just your Geo Metro- it's generally true that in any vehicle, the faster you go, the worse your gas mileage will be. This is because of air resistance, at the most basic level- you have to push aside more air, faster, and all that air is pushing back at you, applying a force that you have to have enough force in the opposite direction to overcome in order to move ahead, which takes more energy. That plays a big part in the reason why gas mileage drops at higher speeds.