HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Aftermarket Air Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Wish I new it all!
Default Aftermarket Air Filter?

Has anyone put an aftermarket air filter on their car that can be cleaned instead of just thrown out? I think K&N makes one for the HCHII, but does anyone else? Also, does this affect FE?

Old 04-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Aftermarket Air Filter?

There has been a lot of discussion about air filters. K&N usually get better FE, but has been controversial due to possibly voiding the warranty. Do a quick search and you'll find a lot of info.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

I debated whether to buy a K & N filter, or get another factory one when I changed the filter a few months ago. On my previous car, a Honda Element, I used a K & N and saw a 1 mpg improvement. But it was expensive.

I went with the standard one for the Civic Hybrid. Got one on Ebay for much less than the dealer wanted. Also got the cabin air filter. No local auto parts stores carried the filters for the HCH2.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

I'll send you my K&N if you want it. It needs a cleaning, but is otherwise fine. I just didn't notice enough of a difference in my driving to make it worth the bother.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Wish I new it all!

thanks for the offer mmrmnhrm, but from the research i have been doing i think i will just stay with the standard filter. i don't keep cars for a very long time so i probably won't get my money worth. i just thought if it would increase mpg than it might be worth it, but i get no definitive answer that it will.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:40 PM
Enthusiast

I have always used KN on all my cars. I have no idea if it makes much difference on the HCHII because I took out the stock filter about 200 miles after I bought it.

At this point I have seen very few cases where a KN has actually voided a warranty. I did the same thing on my previous new cars and never heard a peep from anyone at the dealerships when I took it in for warranty service.

Anthony

Old 04-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hi mmrmnhrm,

I read that you don't want your K&N filter anymore. I own a 2003 civic tough don't know if it fits.

I have to change my mine. Do you mind to send me yours, and tell me how much it will cost me.

Thank you very much.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Fanfaron, sorry to say that the '03 filter is different from the '06.

Others, I've had someone in Chicago ask for mine, so I'll be sending it off there once I have an address.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:50 PM
"Manalo"

Personally, I wouldn't install a K&N filter in my Hybrid since I know I won't be trying to out run a gas guzzlin sports car for any reason. Cmon we drive a hybrid!!! The more ponies the more gas we will use. Even if it did improve my FE by 1mpg I could easily do that my changing my driving habits like taking it easy on the gas. Also, cleaning out the K&N with the cleaner kit ($14) takes some time especially when waiting for the filter to dry before applying oil. That right there will decommision your ride for some time.

I find it easier to save time and money by just replacing the air filter after each interval from www.fleetfilter.com (same as OEM at a decent price)

Old 04-07-2008, 07:56 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

Originally Posted by Estoril73
...The more ponies the more gas we will use.... Also, cleaning out the K&N with the cleaner kit ($14) takes some time especially when waiting for the filter to dry before applying oil. That right there will decommission your ride for some time.
There are a couple of highway interchanges here in Columbus, where (as other local drivers will testify) you want every last horse your car can muster in order to merge in. There was, to me at least, a slight increase in the 'pep' category when I had it in, but no change in mpg. Since I no longer use that interchange with any kind of regularity, I don't have a need for the boost anymore. As for the car being out of commission for a while, well, that's why you can either keep the stock around, or have a second K&N handy.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Air Filter?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands