HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

800 mile tank and still going in an HCHII

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 08:54 PM
HypoFueler
Default Re: 800 mile tank and still going in an HCHII

John,

Congratulations - you and Kenny are showing the way these days!

Do you tend to FAS only at cold startups - or are you also using it at other times - like to extend glides etc?

Best regards,
Carl

Old 07-01-2007, 09:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spartybrutus
John,

Congratulations - you and Kenny are showing the way these days!

Do you tend to FAS only at cold startups - or are you also using it at other times - like to extend glides etc?

Best regards,
Carl
Thank you very much. I am just trying to make the most of my terrain, traffic, and speed limits on my commute.

In the past few weeks, I have started playing around with FAS more at startups. On a few occasions, I have been taking an alternate route out of my neighborhood where I pulse up to between 25 and 30, FAS, and then glide for a while.

In general, I use FAS to extend, or allow, constant speed glides. I have several gentle slopes on my daily commute. An FAS is perfect for allowing me to maintain the speed limit during these slopes. One of these is pretty close to 1 mile in length.

I described my commute home and how I use FASing in some detail in this thread.
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=14174

Old 07-02-2007, 07:44 PM

I don't understand why FAS would be of benefit in a hybrid since it is burning zero gas when gliding, but your mileage speaks for itself. I've got a perfect hill for it on my commute--maybe I'll try it tomorrow.

So is 902.3 the record tank for the HCHII? Edit: BTW, congrats on the awesome tank!

Last edited by kristian; 07-02-2007 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by kristian
I don't understand why FAS would be of benefit in a hybrid since it is burning zero gas when gliding, but your mileage speaks for itself. I've got a perfect hill for it on my commute--maybe I'll try it tomorrow.
It is burning zero gas, but you have to overcome the engine drag. By shifting to neutral and turning off the engine, there is no engine drag and no gas being burned. Toyota hybrids are very different and FASing is not necessary, and sometimes not even possible.

If you haven't done it before, make sure you read up on the topic well first.

So is 902.3 the record tank for the HCHII?
I'm not sure what the record is, but there is a tank of 941 in the database.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Kite

If you haven't done it before, make sure you read up on the topic well.
I have, and the place I have in mind is one where I'm used to gliding between lights at <15mph to make sure that traffic passes me by so I should have a great chance tomorrow--especially with light "holiday" traffic.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:40 AM

OK, I tried FAS today for the first time. I was surprised at how fast I picked up speed! The hill I used was way too steep. It is an interesting concept for slight downhills though where you would loose speed too fast gliding. It's too bad I don't have more slight hills on my commute (maybe that's nature's way of keeping me from FASing )

Old 07-03-2007, 08:55 AM

OK, I tried FAS today for the first time. I was surprised at how fast I picked up speed! The hill I used was way too steep. It is an interesting concept for slight downhills though where you would loose speed too fast gliding. It's too bad I don't have more slight hills on my commute (maybe that's nature's way of keeping me from FASing )
Cool! I'm glad there is another person out there that at least knows what I am talking about. My commute home has one really long and slight downhill, along with various other hills. If I don't have to go out of my way to pick up my kids, I can easily surpass 100 mpg for my commute home. For this commute, there is a drop of about 220' over about 5.5 miles.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Enthusiast

I thought the tank size on the honda was 12.3 gallons. How could you have put almost 1 gallon more in the car? Sorry to sound skeptical..

Old 07-03-2007, 11:35 AM
Enthusiast

sorry just realized my mistake!!

Old 07-03-2007, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by StevensDM
I thought the tank size on the honda was 12.3 gallons. How could you have put almost 1 gallon more in the car? Sorry to sound skeptical..
That's OK. Topping off adds about 1.9 gallons. The reported tank capacity seems to be from the point where a gas pump would first shut off down all the way down to empty.