HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

800 mile tank and still going in an HCHII

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default 800 mile tank and still going in an HCHII

I just surpassed 800 miles on a tank in my 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid. My wife and I have been working on this tank since our last fill-up on June 6. I still haven't filled up yet. I lost my last bar at about 785 miles.

To head off a few questions, yes I FAS and yes I topped off.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:21 PM
Default Re: 800 mile tank and still going in an HCHII

That's amazing.

I am reminded of a billboard for Dodge I saw this morning.
The headline is, "LA to SF on a single tank"

The sad thing is they don't need to mention that tanks vary in size (I'm sure their demographic wouldn't understand anyway.)

Oh BTW Mapquest says the drive from Los Angeles to San Francisco is 382 miles.
Hahahaha

Talk about clueless!

Last edited by kenny; 06-29-2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:46 AM

EXCELLENT!!!

Old 06-30-2007, 09:24 AM
teh nuberz

I'm new. What's FAS?

Old 06-30-2007, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by ryanw
I'm new. What's FAS?
Here's the definition used over at cleanmpg:

*Could be dangerous if not done right, possibly illegal*

Forced Autostop: A Honda hybrid will AS (Autostop) in various scenario’s although it is very limiting to a given condition. To high a speed, to cold, not enough SOC (state of Charge), not enough speed since last AS, Defrost or A/C on except for the AH and HCH-II in specific conditions, etc. will not allow AS … Forcing an AS in any vehicle (other then an HSD equipped hybrid), aka FAS, release to IG-II, and engage transmission with a rev match to continue on your way. Pro’s include a very noticeable increase in FE over any short distance trip and is required in a few areas of the US as well as much of Europe, ie. sitting at a stop sign for > 15 seconds or at a stop for > 5 minutes … Con’s include powerless coast, power brake assist is lost after a few uses, power steering is lost although at speed, you do not need it, is illegal in some locales, and possibly both gear reduction starter from excessive ICE starts and pre-mature wear from re-engagements of the transmission at speed.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/gloss...lossary&term=1

Old 06-30-2007, 10:32 AM
Happy Camper Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ryanw
I'm new. What's FAS?
Hey, Ryan --

Forced Auto-Stop. (Turn the key off while driving. It's kinda extreme.)

It's actually a contradiction in terms, of course: if it was "auto," it wouldn't have to be "forced."

cheers --
doug

(welcome to greenhybrid!)

Old 06-30-2007, 11:45 AM
teh nuberz

holy lord. turning the car off while driving? that's hardcore.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:04 AM

I really wanted to know how much gas this thing holds. Since my wife is going to be out of town for the next few days, I did not want to risk running out of gas while responsible for two kids. Also, I did not want to tote around a spare gallon of gas in a gas can while my kids were in the car. So, I drove a few unnecessary miles yesterday and this morning. However, I did not run out of gas and decided to fill up at 902 miles.

Since the last picture, I drove 100.6 miles at an average fuel economy of 78.8 mpg. I added 13.727 gallons of gas to the tank which calculates to 65.7 mpg.

My number in the mileage database is slightly different. This is because I do not normally top off. Because of this, I use the first click as my baseline. For example, when filling up, I record the amount of gas at the first click. Any extra that I put in after this point gets carried over to the next tank. This adds the error of first click variations, but it removes the wild and inaccurate swings in calculated FE you would get in going from a topped-off tank to a nontopped-off tank and vice versa.

Anyway, it looks like a 1000 mile tank is certainly possible. I'm not sure of the tank's capacity. But I'm guessing it is at least 14 gallons when topped off. If I can average over 70 mpg, I should be able to do it. With this tank, my wife drove 100+ miles with fuel economy in the low 50s. To average in the 70s, I will have to keep this vehicle to myself for the duration of the tank. I guess we'll have to see how feasible that is.

Old 07-01-2007, 03:52 PM

That's ridiculous!!! Great job. I had no idea it was even possible.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:55 PM

I secound that motion. Congrats! I find it hard to believe as well, did not think it possible. H

Quick Reply: 800 mile tank and still going in an HCHII

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands