HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

2008 HCH-II: applying TSBs in Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 06:21 PM
Newb
Default 2008 HCH-II: applying TSBs in Canada?

Hi all, I live in Montreal, Canada and bought a new 2008 HCH-II in July 2008. From what I read on several (US) websites, there would seem that several TSBs address firmware updates that my car could benefit from. I have contacted several Honda dealerships (including the one I use for my regular maintenance) and none acknowledge any available TSBs for my car. Even showing them Honda TSB reports (obviously from US sources), did not convince them of this availability for my canadian car. They tell me that these TSBs do not apply to the canadian market... (I am specifically referring to the "transmission harsh engagement from auto-stop" TSB). Anyway, just curious about other Canadians' experiences with their HCH-IIs wrt TSBs... Thanks, Daniel

Old 08-24-2009, 06:09 AM
Newb
Default Re: 2008 HCH-II: applying TSBs in Canada?

This is what I did (tell them about a problem) first and when they said there was no problem, that's when I mentioned the TSB and the fact it was a 'known issue'.

They denied any knowledge about this TSB and when I produced the TSB sheet, they noticed it was of US origin and then told me it did not apply to the cdn market...

All I wanted to know is if other Canadians had success with getting some firmware upgrades done on their 2008 HCH either directly suggested by their dealer or asked by them.

Daniel

Old 08-24-2009, 10:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

We've had one software update since purchase of our '06 in December, 2005. We received a letter from Honda Canada in March, 2007 titled: "Safety Recall: DC-DC OUtput Cable Cover". The main issue is to better insulate some terminals in the big battery behind the back seat. The letter also states:

"In adddition, based on the actual date your vehicle was manufactured, the software for your vehicle may be required to be updated to improve the cold weather performance of the Linear Air Fuel sensor on the catalytic converter - your dealer can check to see if this update does apply to your vehicle."

When we brought it in for this, the service department invoice reads in part:

Rewrite ECM
part#: 36531RNAA01
UPDATE ECU

Following this update I noticed a modest improvement in fuel economy, and a general increase the car's willingness to glide and go into Electric-Only mode.

As far as I know this is the only time our car's software has been updated. I've seen flurries of discussion on this issue, but so far this is the only notice I've ever received.

I've no idea why there is such a vast disparity between possible updates and notifications of same. So far our car seems to be ok without them, but I do wonder that we might be missing out on something. But I'm not losing any sleep over it.

FWIW, we've not had any problems with the CVT, regarding harsh restart from Auto-Stop. If we did I'm sure I would be pushing the dealership and Honda Canada much more regarding any relevant computer updates available. I would just stay polite, describe the symptoms, reference any software updates you've found, and communicate with Honda Canada as well. I wouldn't get your hopes up though, regarding Honda Canada. In my experience they are very self-centered, the customer is not first priority...

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 08-24-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

The back tires were wore on the inside on my 07 civic, so I printed and took the rear arm TSB down to the dealer and asked for the new arms, tires and alignment. The service person said it doesn't apply because of the USA TSB. I asked to speak to the manager, and after looking at the tires he said they would do the work. So don't give up, if you can prove the trouble exists, they will do the work.