HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

2007 HCH fuel tank size?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 10:21 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 HCH fuel tank size?

The in-tank fuel pump is cooled by the fuel. Running the tank very low or empty can damage or destroy the pump. If you have a habit of driving many miles after the gauge reads empty your fuel pump will almost certainly fail sooner than a vehicle that is refilled more often. I let mine drop to zero bars, but fill up quickly when all the bars are gone.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:22 AM
HypoFueler

Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode when Kramer test drives a car WAY past E....

Now that would be a funny hybrid commercial.....

Old 04-18-2007, 10:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spartybrutus
Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode when Kramer test drives a car WAY past E....

Now that would be a funny hybrid commercial.....
"I've never felt so alive!"

I once drove my truck way past E towing a trailer across Nevada. The place I planned to fill up only had gas, no diesel, and I had to go 75 miles to the next town. Way past 0 on the Miles To Empty meter. I've never felt so alive!

Old 04-18-2007, 10:29 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

There is a difference between the North American fuel tank capacities (US & Canada) and that of models sold elsewhere in the world (Europe & Japan at least).

According to some of the technical literature I have, it appears that the lower capacities of our tanks is the result of a design that includes extra emmisions/evaporative systems and components. These systems do take up volume that would otherwise be available to a maximum of 50 Liters.

That is life.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 04-20-2007, 08:52 PM
Great Mileage and Green

Interestingly, the brochures Honda has on the 2007 Civic Hybrid say 13.2 gallons, same as the DX, EX and LX Civics.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:20 PM
Happy Camper Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2007HCHOttawa
So I guess that's Honda's way of "parenting" us into filling up sooner.
I'm beginning to suspect that the 1.5-2 mpg pessimist mileage meter is off for the same reason. Honda has to know the trip computer reads at least a mile per gallon low, probably more like two, so why not just reprogram the computer? To keep people from using the computer to drive to the last possible mile before filling up.

Manufacturers have done this kind of thing for ages. Two things you have to learn to ignore if you want to stretch your tanks: your spouse, and any info the car gives you about how much gas it has left.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

I know I started this thread but I am curious as to why "stretching the tank" is so important? I never quite understood what the big deal is about not having to fill up as often. If someone fills up every 3 days because they prefer to fill up everytime the tank shows half full ... that doesnt necessarily mean they're getting bad FE.

All that should matter is FE. Miles (or kms) per tank and frequency of trips to the gas station are irrelevant. Or maybe I am missing something. If so ... please enlighten.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

I know I started this thread but I am curious as to why "stretching the tank" is so important? I never quite understood what the big deal is about not having to fill up as often. If someone fills up every 3 days because they prefer to fill up everytime the tank shows half full ... that doesnt necessarily mean they're getting bad FE.

All that should matter is FE. Miles (or kms) per tank and frequency of trips to the gas station are irrelevant. Or maybe I am missing something. If so ... please enlighten.
I just don't like to fill up. Takes time, can be messy. I have to get out of my climate controlled wonder of a vehicle and stand in the snow/rain/cold/sun/heat while it fills up. Just don't like to do it. The less often the better. The worst is when you have to fill up first thing in the morning.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:00 PM
HypoFueler

Well for me, until the HCH 2, I never got more than 400mi out of a tank and always had to refuel 1+ times per week. It may be trivial, but filling up less often 1) saved the extra 10 minute trip to the station and 2) cuts down on the snacks/pops I used to get while I was in a hurry to refill...

600 miles is a nice big round number - so is 1000km (621 miles).

Old 04-24-2007, 10:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

Agree with Rockmonkey and spartybrutus. However ... I don't see myself going for a 1000 km tank anytime soon. Although my current tank (4.6 l / 100 kms) might be capable of doing it (my tank size is 46.6 litres as per the manual) ... i doubt that I will have the guts to try. Once that last bar goes on the Fuel guage ... I am pretty sure I'll be heading to the nearest gas station.

Also I have the bad habit of trying to time my gas purchases so I get it "cheap" i.e. if gas is relatively cheap ... i tend to fill up even if I have 3/4 tank left ... just so i have the extra cushion in case prices go back up ... hate being forced to buy gas on the one day that it peaks.

Quick Reply: 2007 HCH fuel tank size?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands