HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

09 - highway handling

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 04:01 PM
Enthusiast
Default 09 - highway handling

This may be normal as I have driven a full size truck for the last 9 years. I test drove the car for about 1/2 hour at speeds up to 50-55 but not on the hwy.
This week-end I put the first 200 miles on the car at speeds around 65 and although the steering is really tight, the car seems to want to drift slightly to one side, then an oh so slight correction and drifts to the other side. It does not feel like a pull like an alignment problem but not what I am accustomed to.
I've read in another thread that adding psi to the tires helps the mileage but I assume it would make the drift worse since less thread would touch the pavement.
Love the car, but it likes to talk more than I do with the phone, the climate control, the radio and the nav system.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:23 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 09 - highway handling

I think you may have already answered your own question. Compared to a truck, you may simply be overcorrecting a bit. A little time will take care of this, I'm sure.

The steering on the Civic hybrid is very precise. It's an electric-powered rack and pinion system which shares features with Honda's performance cars. In this case its used to get better fuel economy by eliminating the belt-driven power steering pumps found on most cars and trucks.

My only suggestion would be to check to see that your tires are at equal pressure when cold. I find 36-38 psi is fine but the tires are rated for 44 psi which some people use to further improve fuel economy.

Enjoy your new car!

Cheers,

Roger

Old 10-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Rookie Enthusiast

hi no-opec,

when I first got my '08 HCH II last winter, I also experienced what seemed to be quite a lot of drift. At first I thought it was pulling consistently to the right, but then I drove on a truly open road and realized that I was simply experiencing more 'road crest' than I was used to. (Driving a little to one side or the other of the center led to drift in that direction). I think the LRR tires may contribute to the phenomenon, but I'm no expert. Somewhat counter to my expectation, inflating tires a bit more to improve milage (to 38-40 psi) actually seemed to improve handling, and there are some nice threads on this site that discuss why (check out a search on 'tire pressure'). I also found that the phenomenon lessened with time, presumably has the tires wore in bit-- or maybe I just got more used to how they handle, supporting Roger's comment.

Have fun! It's a great car!

Philip

Old 10-19-2008, 06:48 AM
Enthusiast

Appreaciate both comments. I think you are both right. More subtle correction on my part and a bit more air has helped. It is a great car, just filled my first tank of gas, a respectable 45.4 mpg.