Winter weather handling?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 08:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Winter weather handling?

Sadly, it is almost the time of year when the snow and ice start flying...

I would like to hear how the TCH is doing in the "white stuff" from the rest of you.

We had some nasty whether here this morning (basically heavy sleet), and the car dealt with it without issue (I couldn't even get the traction control to kick in).

I really want to know how the tires perform in the snow and ice, but I think it might be a little while before we see enough snow accumulation here to try that. Maybe someone here is in a colder climate (like those of you up in Canada).

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 10-12-2006, 09:28 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons
Default Re: Winter weather handling?

The snow is flying here in Minneapolis today. No accumulation (yet) but with temps in the high 20's it won't take long before it will...

Old 10-12-2006, 09:49 AM

Thankfully, no snow here yet, so it's hard to say for sure but I believe traction control can create problems on slippery surface, where you need to spin tires to dig in for the tire to grab on to something and the computer won't let the tire spin. I found some instructions to disable traction control for other Toyota cars but it doesn't seem to work on TCH, maybe I'm doing something wrong. I don't believe TCH should behave any different than any other similar sized car, but again full traction control could be an issue under some circumstances. Soon enough we will find out for sure.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:06 PM

I would like to keep this thread alive as winter draws near, and if you comment, PLEASE list which tires you have on your TCH!

Old 10-12-2006, 04:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

We had snow once in 1986. I'll keep you posted. Frankly, I am waiting for a cold snap to try the heated seats and see how quick the heater gets warm. It does get down in the upper teens a couple days in winter during the early moring hours.

Old 10-12-2006, 07:59 PM
Enthusiast

Canada(Calgary at least) here is nice and dry.

Old 10-13-2006, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Railroad
Canada(Calgary at least) here is nice and dry.
Ahhh, it's a dry cold.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:16 PM
Enthusiast

Anyone from Buffalo have a TCH!!

Old 10-14-2006, 06:34 AM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: Winter weather handling?

I'm curious too. My hypothosys is that with an extra 350lbs (MG) over the front wheels is that it should be better than the non-Hybrid Camry's. I'll let you know when it snow here in CT, but probably(hopefully) a month or so away from snow.

Old 10-14-2006, 09:06 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I'm in CT too, looking out my window as my husband mows the lawn, the sun is shining brightly, the sky is clear and the leaves aren't even at peak color yet it's hard to believe that we will have snow soon. I think the TCH will do great in snow.

Quick Reply: Winter weather handling?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands