HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Types of HCH1 IMA batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 11:56 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Types of HCH1 IMA batteries?

I just had someone tell me that there were four types of HCH1 IMA batteries and that if you don't set the ecu to the right type you have problems. One of the "types" was an EV1, another was a No Name. I didn't catch the other two he stated. Is this true?

Last edited by jjh1; 01-24-2016 at 12:07 PM. Reason: error
Old 01-24-2016, 02:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Types of HCH1 IMA batteries?

That might be true, but there are only two main types. One with PTC strips and the other without. I forgot about this, and it might have been part of the issue with the guy and your battery.

If he's talking about brands, it's nonsense. All IMA batteries have been made by the same company either labeled as Panasonic EV Energy or Primearth EV Energy. They changed the name around 2010 after Panasonic went from 50/50 ownership with Toyota to 80/20 with Toyota owning 80% to address monopoly concerns with Panasonic's acquisition of Sanyo.

One thing is for certain, around 2008/09, IMA battery quality dropped like a rock as evidenced by the 30-32% replacement rate of 09/10 HCH2 as of 2013 per consumer reports. Additionally, replacement Honda packs seem to have much shorter lives than the originals produced for the Insight/HCH1 prior to 2006.

The HCH1 changed somewhere in the middle of their production run. They started with the PTC strips. Then they discontinued them. It required an ECU update that deleted the check for the circuit, and they released a TSB where you cut out an inch of the red wire on the orange end plate.

If you put a pack in with this circuit intact, and the ECU has been patched, it will throw a code. Fix is to cut the red wire. Removes a signal from where the ECU expects none.

If you put a pack in without this circuit intact, and the ECU has not been updated, it will throw a code. Fix is to install a 20-30Ω resistor (pennies from Radioshack) in this circuit. Tricks the ECU into thinking the PTC is functioning. Or you can get the ECU patched (probably cost you a little).

Sorry I didn't think of this earlier. It pops up from time to time, but only on the HCH1, and I tend to forget (I am in my mid-forties!).

Steve

Old 01-25-2016, 10:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hi Steve, Correct? Does it make any difference how many watts the resistors are? Thanks - Jen

Old 01-25-2016, 10:52 AM

Hehe... You are clearly a very visual person... very nice.

The typical 1/4W resistor is fine. IIRC, 22Ω and 1/4W resistors are very common.

I don't know how to check the ECU, but you can check the pack by removing the junction board and confirming the presence of the PTC strips and/or the wire cut.

Note that the Honda packs will never have a resistor. That's what you do to make the pack work with an old ECU. Honda would patch the ECU.

Steve

Old 01-25-2016, 11:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've been told that Honda places a white triangular sticker in the driver's side door jamb when they patch the ECU. Just second hand info...

I have to be visual...I'm in my middle 50s

Old 01-25-2016, 11:18 AM

Very nice. Thanks for that. I'm too stubborn to admit I need the help... that time will come.