HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

idle unstable 2005

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 04:14 PM
ptb
Enthusiast
Default idle unstable 2005

2005 150k
vehicle had jutter, slip and idle issues.
after burnish the clutch, jutter and slip went away, but idle problem remains

before burnish, idle would consistently bounce at stop w/ AC on
after burnish, idle seems much better, but sometimes at stop w/ AC on, the idle will go down so far the vehicle will stall

any ideas?

Old 11-19-2018, 12:47 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: idle unstable 2005

Originally Posted by ptb
2005 150k
but sometimes at stop w/ AC on, the idle will go down so far the vehicle will stall
Does it just do it once while warming up? When my car goes from open loop to closed loop the RPM drops briefly quite far and then recovers. It only does that when it is warming up, once it has gone closed loop it will not happen again (on that trip). With the A/C on I would guess the drop might be worse. However, I only experience this (usually) going to work in the morning, because it happens mostly at the same long stop light. It isn't hot then so no A/C on. Coming home the car makes that transition while moving at 30-40 mph and nothing is evident.

Old 11-20-2018, 04:55 PM
ptb
Enthusiast

no, idle problem happens at start and later during stops.

shop says they tried IDLE RELEARN procedure a couple times, but are getting info of a MAP SENSOR failure.
next is replace MAP SENSOR and try IDLE RELEARN again.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:18 AM
Enthusiast

I had the same issue, where idle would drop and almost stall, but never did, as well as it wavering about (see a video here). I've done about 3 gas fillups adding a bottle of Chevron Techron concentrate each time (for one of the treatments I added it to a quarter tank of gas and drove it before filling up), and also used a can of Seafoam spray through the air intake. This seems to have mostly eliminated the issue. I believe the seafoam spray is really the key because it cleans out the throttle body which is where this kind of problems seem to come from but I can't be sure, it may also have been gunk in the fuel-pump which the techron helped clean out. I have an outline of these products on my page: http://hondacivichybrid2.mooo.com/#engineperformance

Might be worth giving it a try.

Last edited by CanadaJimmy; 11-21-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:10 PM
ptb
Enthusiast

trying to remove and replace the IACV to fix the idle, but the 3 phillips screws are stuck, why they used oval-head phillips screws instead of hex-head is beyond me.,,,stupid

Old 01-11-2019, 07:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
I had the same issue, where idle would drop and almost stall, but never did, as well as it wavering about (see a video here). I've done about 3 gas fillups adding a bottle of Chevron Techron concentrate each time (for one of the treatments I added it to a quarter tank of gas and drove it before filling up), and also used a can of Seafoam spray through the air intake. This seems to have mostly eliminated the issue. I believe the seafoam spray is really the key because it cleans out the throttle body which is where this kind of problems seem to come from but I can't be sure, it may also have been gunk in the fuel-pump which the techron helped clean out. I have an outline of these products on my page: http://hondacivichybrid2.mooo.com/#engineperformance

Might be worth giving it a try.
Your HCH2 page for the win. Nice summary. I didn't read everything in detail, but I didn't see any obvious errors. And I'm not just complimenting you because you cited me...

Old 01-16-2019, 10:45 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Your HCH2 page for the win. Nice summary. I didn't read everything in detail, but I didn't see any obvious errors. And I'm not just complimenting you because you cited me...
Thanks! Yeah it's been quite an experience learning everything about this car, and I realized I had enough to compile it all onto a webpage as a reference. Good to know there's nothing majorly wrong on it!

ptb - were you able to fix your idle issue?

Last edited by CanadaJimmy; 01-16-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:12 PM
ptb
Enthusiast

CanadaJimmy,

IACV was replaced
throttle body was cleaned
map sensor snapped bolt was removed and replaced
idle relearn procedure preformed

now, idle is 98% better

Old 01-17-2019, 09:06 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ptb
CanadaJimmy,

IACV was replaced
throttle body was cleaned
map sensor snapped bolt was removed and replaced
idle relearn procedure preformed

now, idle is 98% better
Thats great! Glad it was worth all the effort. I think the idle on this car is a little quirky even when it was new, due to the Auto Idle Stop, so you’ve probably restored it to factory spec.