HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

HCH IMA battery failure preventing inspection

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 01:31 PM
akt
Enthusiast
Default HCH IMA battery failure preventing inspection

I have a 2003 HCH CVT with 130k miles. The IMA battery started setting the CEL about 2 years ago but I didn't have the battery replaced because the cost was too high and the car was still functional. The car is still functional but the battery now sets the CEL within a mile or two of resetting the codes, so I am no longer able get the car to pass inspection. I'm in Austin, TX. Does anyone have suggestions (other than replacing the battery) for how to get the car to pass inspection? Is there a way to disable the IMA system just long enough to pass inspection? Alternatively, would one of the battery rebalancing devices solve this problem?

Old 12-31-2012, 09:35 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH IMA battery failure preventing inspection

A grid charger may restore the battery suffciently to enable you to pass inspection but there is no guarantee of success. As yours has been failing for a while it's probably pretty bad. You also need to read the codes and research/post them so we can see exactly what type of failure you are experiencing.

If they plug into the obdII port to check for codes then you are stuck.

You could try my manual IMA control/battery protector device detailed on this forum to stop the car using the battery once the code has been reset but again no guarantee of sucess.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Enthusiast

There are instructions on one of the websites to disable the ima battery. you turn off the switch and unplug the leftmost bundle which connects the battery to the computer. If these two steps are taken isn't the battery out of the loop? and will you still be charging your 12 v battery?

Old 01-04-2013, 09:55 AM
akt
Enthusiast

RetepSnikrep: Thank you for the advice. Is this the best description of your device (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwJKUC9MniQ)?