HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

BCM versions

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 01:33 PM
Enthusiast
Default BCM versions

I can't seem to find a data base / thread regarding BCM revisions in our cars.

The reason I am interested is I have 3 different BCM modules and all 3 exhibit totally different behavior in my car.

For example one BCM I have requires the PTC strips and the other module I have appears to not need those.

The reason I know this is I took the 2nd BCM I have and put it in my car. Immediately got an IMA light with a code regarding cell over temp faults.

After examining the battery pack the 2nd BCM was attached to there's a resistor in place of where the PTC circuit would be.

I am running the 2nd BCM in my car and it seems to do a much better job of keeping the SOC around 70% "as indicated on a scan tool" or 2 bars from the top.

If anyone has a link to some info regarding part numbers and differences that would be great.

Thanks.

Old 10-06-2020, 04:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: BCM versions

There's no correlation with part numbers. The old BCM can be reprogrammed to the new configuration. This was standard practice if Honda replaced a battery.

Honda removed the PTC strips from packs mid 2004 on the Civic. For the NEW config, the presence of the PTC circuit or a resistor simulating it will create a fault.

For the old config, the lack of PTC strips or a resistor to simulate it will create a fault.

If you're running the 2nd BCM in your car with an IMA fault, I would not trust that it's actually keeping the SoC at around 70% and fully utilizing the pack as intended.

Old 10-12-2020, 07:29 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: BCM versions

Originally Posted by S Keith
There's no correlation with part numbers. The old BCM can be reprogrammed to the new configuration. This was standard practice if Honda replaced a battery.

Honda removed the PTC strips from packs mid 2004 on the Civic. For the NEW config, the presence of the PTC circuit or a resistor simulating it will create a fault.

For the old config, the lack of PTC strips or a resistor to simulate it will create a fault.

If you're running the 2nd BCM in your car with an IMA fault, I would not trust that it's actually keeping the SoC at around 70% and fully utilizing the pack as intended.
You are correct on the part numbers but the calibration IDs will be different. If there's any info about the different calibrations I'd love to study them.

I'm not running any IMA faults. I make sure the BCM sees what it wants to regarding the PTC strips. Fault lights of any kind bug me and I fix them.

The pack I'm running seems to be in real good shape. Been over a month since doing a deep discharge / grid charge and so far it's shown no signs of forced recals etc etc.

In fact I initially was running that pack in my 2003 with a CVT and now have transferred it into my 2004 with a manual.

I've read in the past that it's generally accepted that the CVT cars are easier on the IMA pack vs the 5 speed but in my experience so far the 5 speed is much nicer to the pack. Perhaps it's the driver.

With my CVT car I would regularly run it down to just under 50% indicated SOC and it would start indicating it charging it as I drove for a few minutes.

I have yet to see this with the 5 speed car. I drive the exact same route 5 days a week and the difference in behavior with the 2 cars is quite substantial.