HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

2005 HCH Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 01:32 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2005 HCH Issue

Hello.

I noticed my 12 volt battery draining down because of the cold climate and cheap battery. I took it out and charged it and put it back in to only have a check engine light come on, the OBD plug not work, and, IMA system stay in limp mode. What the hell is wrong? Thanks

Old 01-23-2020, 03:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2005 HCH Issue

What detail have you omitted?

Old 01-23-2020, 04:05 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
What detail have you omitted?
did not know there was any? Am I missing something?

Old 01-23-2020, 04:23 PM

I feel like you're leaving something out. You're saying you replaced your 12V and now everything is wrong with the car. The chances of that are fairly remote. I suspect you're omitting detail PRIOR to the 12V replacement (cold and cheap don't necessarily mean a 12V issue) as well DURING replacement.

Assuming you're not misleading us (or yourself):
  1. Confirm replacement battery is good. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's good.
  2. Replace (-) battery cable if it's never been replaced.
  3. Confirm cable attach points are clean.
  4. Confirm you've actually installed the battery correctly.

Old 01-23-2020, 06:02 PM
Enthusiast

[QUOTE=S Keith;269873]I feel like you're leaving something out. You're saying you replaced your 12V and now everything is wrong with the car. The chances of that are fairly remote. I suspect you're omitting detail PRIOR to the 12V replacement (cold and cheap don't necessarily mean a 12V issue) as well DURING replacement.

Assuming you're not misleading us (or yourself):
  1. Confirm replacement battery is good. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's good.
  2. Replace (-) battery cable if it's never been replaced.
  3. Confirm cable attach points are clean.
  4. Confirm you've actually installed the
  5. Here is what the current symptoms are. My check engine light came on after I put the main battery back in the car correctly of course. I tried to hook up the OBD scanner and it saying no display. But also when I drive the car it won’t go higher than 30 miles an hour and the hybrid battery is not Kicking in. Prior to that I have had no issues with the hybrid battery or it charging or anything. Only issue I was having was the 12 V Running down and I would have to charge it or jump it because I live in a very cold climate and the batteries cheap.The check engine light came on after I put in the battery and the OBD scanner port is saying no link.

Old 01-23-2020, 08:04 PM

Okay. Still important to execute steps 1-4.

If you're using a non-professional grade scanner, then there are codes that can't be read with a cheap-o. You may need a professional grade scanner. If you have O'Reilly in your area, I highly recommend them. They use Bosch brand code readers that are very effective in pulling hybrid codes. HOWEVER, the operators are still problematic. Make sure your car is either running or the key is fully on, not acc.

Questions:
  1. Have you confirmed steps 1-4?
  2. Was your 12V light on before you replaced the battery?
  3. Is your IMA light on?

Old 01-23-2020, 08:33 PM
Enthusiast

Yes I have done steps one through four as you mentioned.Over the past two weeks the battery in the car has been running down to the point I have to charge it out of the car. Once it was charged, the car would run fine. No issues with the IMA whatsoever. But then a few days later it would run down again. Now Ilive in a cold area where there is lots of snow and cold weather.I thought maybe it was the battery taking a beating in the cold weather. The 12volt light came on once when the battery was low so I charged itand it went off. At this moment the car will turn on with the check engine light on and the scanner port not reading the scanner. I hooked up the scanner to my wife pilot and it worked with no issues. The car feels like it is in safe mode. I cant go past 40 and the IMA appears to be in safe mode as well.

Old 01-23-2020, 08:45 PM

If you're using a non-professional grade scanner, then there are codes that can't be read with a cheap-o. You may need a professional grade scanner. If you have O'Reilly in your area, I highly recommend them. They use Bosch brand code readers that are very effective in pulling hybrid codes. HOWEVER, the operators are still problematic. Make sure your car is either running or the key is fully on, not acc
If you paid less than several hundred dollars for your code reader, you need to go to O'Reilly.

So, you did a load test on the new battery?
You replaced your (-) battery cable?

Check all fuses in interior and under-hood fuse boxes.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:05 AM
Enthusiast

If you paid less than several hundred dollars for your code reader, you need to go to O'Reilly.

So, you did a load test on the new battery?
You replaced your (-) battery cable?

Check all fuses in interior and under-hood fuse boxes.
so I checked all the fuses as you mentioned and sure enough the STS outlet is not working. I even replaced the fuse and still no power to outlet. What is the STS even used for? The OBD is still not working which I think is related to the STS outlet?