HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

2,400 mile road trip with p1449?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 06:42 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2,400 mile road trip with p1449?

I've teased my bargain HCH1's battery into the realm of the living with nothing more than a Venom Pro2 RC battery charger, some wilful ignorance, and a very hard head. Started from p1446 p1570 p1600 and began charging them one by one (not even a slightly efficient method, LOL). Had to replace two sticks because the had holes burned in between the 2nd and 3rd cells, and eventually got everything in a state where I could drive it (very carefully) enough to pass California emissions! It absolutely hates using much assist and now generally runs with p1449 tripped because I live in an extraordinarily hilly place and always need considerable assist.

For my next adventure I'm driving it 2,400 miles to Atlanta, before continuing on to the Southernmost tip of Florida! Ultimate bonehead shakedown run?

The negatives:
CVT judders worse than an imbalanced washing machine, so I put some of the correct Honda CVT fluid in (seems like it was the wrong type when I drained it). Everything seemed to clear up on my midnight test drive on the small highway and around town, but two hours into a 35 hour trip I discovered it doesn't like to positively engage when shifting between the two ratios unless there is power applied. I've been babying it for the last 1,000 miles with no more big hiccups. Planning to do another fluid swap in Atlanta,a possibly one more in Key West if it doesn't straighten out enough on the Florida Leg but it's probably the start clutch going bad and we'll have the CVT belt done while everything is apart.

Also the p1449 is constantly my copilot. Interestingly the car seems to fully drain and then fully charge the battery naturally as I work up and over the Continental divide. My most recent tank of gas suddenly jumped up above the 47mpg range from 38-40 and now I can drive a considerable distance without the CEL tripping (I've been leaving it on but the change in range and behavior with assist made me curious). Does anyone know if it's possible that the car itself is pseudo conditioning the battery as a side effect of driving so many hours in a row?

​​​​​​Realized when doing the fluid changes the belly pan is missing and one wheel well liner is missing. Those are impacting the economy, but I'll scrounge them from a pull it yourself junkyard soon. Does anyone know offhand if the belly pan is interchangeable with other Civics of the same generation?

The positives:

I installed an aux input in place of my malfunctioning cd changer.

The seats are very comfortable.

I found the correct wiper linkage bushing from Dorman so the wipers don't drive me insane when it's raining.

Almost 48mpg for the past 300+ miles and on track my goal of 40+ mpg for the trip!!!

A long winded story, but my question is about the "natural" full charge and discharge cycles while driving ultra long trips with an imbalanced pack. Is that actually a thing, or just my imagination? I'll be grid charging next month for giggles before buying a new pack (or just matched sticks) and then using the grid charger for preventative maintenance.

Almost 1,000 miles into a coast to coast to coast trip, on the Continental Divide.