HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

05 HCH-1 starts,revs,dies

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Absolutely Nuts
Default 05 HCH-1 starts,revs,dies

I recently purchased an 05 HCH-1 with front end damage (airbags delpoyed). I have recently finished the rebuild side of things (replace airbags, rebuild front end) HOWEVER:

When I go to start the car the car starts from 12v (as would be the case with not-fully charged 144v), instantly revs to red-line (uncontrolled rev), than dies. Sometimes I am able to oscilate between idle and red-line a few times before it dies.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I need it running <2wks.

Additional details: The OBD-2 is not connecting w/ scanner (myscantool.com)
the 12v is fully charged, no engine light, have visually checked wiring in front and no damage, all fuses good, have not removed and checked all relays,but dont see relevence.
I own an 03-04 hybrid electrical manual but not a service manual yet (if anyone has a 03-05 to sell cheap let me know).

Old 10-12-2007, 05:26 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 05 HCH-1 starts,revs,dies

No connectivity is typically two things, blown fuse or pcm. Does the cel light up when you first turn the vehicle on? Make sure there's no massive vacuum leaks as well.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Energy Independence

Not much help here, but keep in mind that the 144v battery does not have to be "fully charged" to start the car. In fact, it USUALLY starts the car. I've NEVER had the 12v battery (and the traditional starter) start the car.

How long was the car out of service? The 144v battery *could* be completely drained, or so low as to not be used in starting.
Auto-revving to limit seems very odd. I don't think the 144v system would be causing this.
I think the OBD-2 not connecting is a clue. There's an electrical gremlin, still (not that I have an answer).
This is purely speculation.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:27 AM
Absolutely Nuts

I have owned the car for about 3 months, but believe that it was out of service for a total of less than 6 months. It was taken out of service due to the wreck so I doubt that the 144v battery would have been in anything other than normal charged state at that time.

I have checked all the fuses multiple times and they are fine.
I have checked for outrageously large pneumatic leaks but have found none.
The engine light DOES NOT light up except for the initial power on, though you would think that such conditions would generate some type of check engine light.

I just read in the electrical manual that if the IMA does not show charging state (as would be the case after 12v being off), than you need to run in normal opps range to reset, but since I can not get it stable in that range yet.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

I would pursue the no connectivity problem first. Usually, the circuit is powered by the cigarette lighter. You may need to check this with your manual. The fact that the cel is proving out is a good sign, this may be something little that's just been overlooked.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:23 AM
Absolutely Nuts

Joker,

I think that I agree, except I am not sure that the CEL showing up in start sequence is anything more than a type of circuit test and prob does not indicate that the control mechanisms are functioning.

Obviously there is power to the gauges/mil indicator (from fuse 10), but since the MIL control is part of the ECM. I will need to make sure that the ECM has power.

Last observation of the morning is that some have questioned if the SRS unit is problematic, would the engine run. If someone would be so kind to pull the SRS fuse and see if the car still starts, that would clear up the suspicion. (I think fuse 17, or 13)

I will plan on posting my observations about 2:34 today.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:23 AM

I believe pulling the srs fuse and trying to start the car will cause an srs error, that can only be cleared by a tool the dealer has or a paper clip and following a certain proceedure. So anyone doing it should be aware of that.

I will also say, that since I have seen on posts that people can still drive the car with an srs error that you are probably looking in the wrong place.

You definately need to find out why the obd-II is not working.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

I wouldn't mess with the SRS, it's unrelated to your issue. I would check the fuel pressure if you can. Definitely get some starting fluid, spray it in while someone cranks the engine. If it runs, you know you've got correct ignition timing, and compression.

Last edited by privatejoker; 10-15-2007 at 12:44 PM. Reason: additions
Old 10-20-2007, 07:42 PM
Absolutely Nuts

Some success:

I now am able to start the car without the rev to red-line; However, I still have oscillation problems. but the oscillation is about 100rpm and it will not stay running below 1500rpm and seems rich in that range. Also pressing the gas peddle is overly sensitive.

I have just received my Honda Service manual from Helms inc. (thanks you guys for the good service) and worked though the troubleshooting diagnostic for failure to connect to the OBD2. I blew a fuse somehow in the middle and need to start over again, but it seems as though there should be no problem there.
My next plan of action is to pick up the generic OBD2 reader on Loaner from O-Reiley auto parts and see if it will connect. I assume that if it will connect than the issue may be not with the car (although it connected fine with my Honda Odessa).

ALONG THESE LINES: if anyone has a ELM universal scanner (I got mine from myscantool.com) and connected to an 03-05 HCH please let me know if there were any issues for you. I am reasonably sure that there is not a compatibility issue but just want to confirm this.

Oh, lastly, I do now have a check engine light at times other than just the start sequence, but I just read in the Service manual that you can check the MIL system communication and will do this.

Thanks a bunch for the pointer and help you guys have provided.

Chester Davis

Old 10-23-2007, 09:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

I hope it's something simple, let us know what you find.