HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

04 HCH CVT oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 02:18 PM
Enthusiast
Default 04 HCH CVT oil leak?

After some effort, Honda finally replaced the start clutch assembly on my 04 HCH at 71k miles under goodwill warranty and only $100 from me. After 2 burnishing operations, the judder was not persistent again until after the regular and Honda Care warranty coverages expired. Unfortunately, just 3 weeks and about 500 miles later I saw oil spots on my driveway and removed the under shield to check for leaks. A lot of oil was on the shield and I saw some oil on a metal plate with a drain port (see attached photo). I am sure it was CVT oil, not engine oil. I assumed that was the source of the oil but when I brought the car into the dealer, the technician said that CVT oil would not leak from that drain which is actually on the engine block. No signs of leakage from the gasket between transmission and IMA. The tech added 1/2 quart of fluid because the CVT was low and cleaned up the shield to help determine a leak source if it recurs. Does anyone know if CVT oil can leak from that drain port? And related to the clutch replacement? Any information on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
drain port.pdf (302.6 KB, 445 views)
Old 02-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 04 HCH CVT oil leak?

This is an update: I spotted oil leakage again so after a couple hundred more miles (and transmission oil collected on the under shield) I took the car back to the dealer. They removed the CVT again and replaced the rear main seal. I thought the rear main seal prevented engine oil from leaking but apparently it also affects the transmission oil side. The technician did mention that this seal is not included with the start clutch assembly kit so it was not replaced during the clutch job. Hopefully this ends the problem.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:16 PM

The exact same thing happened to me and my 03 last summer. I wanted a transmision flush but the dealer ran some tests and said they would fix the starter clutch for free. Well they did, and then I found oil spots on my driveway. I brought it back and they looked at it for a day and said they fixed it. then I drove it for a few more days and found it was leaking again. After they fixed it again it seemed fine over the winter But now I have spots again. I wonder how much the gasket is and how much it would cost to have it replaced.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:22 AM
Enthusiast

From what I understand, my leaking was caused by the oil seal which then seeps through the gasket (between CVT and engine). The seal is less than $10 but it requires complete removal and replacement of the CVT to change it so thats a lot of labor hours. Fortunately the dealer covered it but I am keeping an eye out for anymore problems. Also noticed that when the clutch was first replaced under Honda goodwill coverage, they did a wheel realignment because the axle was disconnected during the work. Didn't see that on the service order the second time when they replaced the oil seal. If anyone is getting their clutch replaced, you should insist on having the oil seal replaced at the same time even if you have to pay for the part.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

04HCH did you notice your oil leak only when you parked on a incline? I recently had my start clutch replaced about 3 weeks ago too and everything seem fine. No oil spot in my garage or my parking stall at work. But I parked at friends drive way that had a pretty steep incline notice a oily spot when I backed out. I when to go check under the hood and did see wet spots on the undercarriage shield thing. checked CVT oil level and it seem fine, above the 2 dots. I am hoping the tech just dropped oil when refilling the tranny.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:02 PM
Enthusiast

poscivic,
I noticed the drips on my level garage floor. It takes an accumulation of oil on the undershield before enough drips thru the holes in the shield. An incline could direct the oil towards a hole. The first time I went back to the dealer, the tech cleaned up the shield and said he probably just spilt oil when filling. That was wishful thinking. Keep checking your oil level and use a flash light to look downwards for any oil on the undershield from above. I was able to spot some where it had collected. Good luck.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks 04hch. I have my fingers crossed. But I did like you and cleaned off the shield and notice oil on the exact same spot you had in your picture. I am still hopefully but fearing the worst! Don't think I will get lucky with them this time, might have to come out of pocket on this one. Any idea on how much they would have charged you? Also which oil should I been looking at the CVT or engine oil?

Old 03-28-2012, 04:25 PM
Enthusiast

poscivic, sorry, I have no idea on the cost/labor charges. It took about 1-1/2 days for the seal replacement. My dealer's invoice says parts and labor are guaranteed for 12 months. If your problem is the main seal, that was not part of the start clutch assembly kit but my dealer still covered the leak repair anyway. The seal itself is not expensive and probably should always be replaced whenever the clutch is removed. I checked both engine and CVT oil levels, but the stuff on my undershield was clear, pinkish so it was CVT. Not sure how that main seal works, if it only seals CVT oil on one side, or if it also seals the engine oil on the other side.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks 04HCH, I just check my shield after just 1 day after cleaning it and I could see oil spots again , oddly enough not low on either CVT or engine oil. So I think I will have to make a trip back to Honda. But like I said I don't think I will be so lucky this time, with my coverage. I already got this Honda to replace the whole tranny @ 100k and new start clutch at 125k, each time was uphill battle trying to get it I covered under warranty. Don't think I will be lucky again. I just hope they will not charge an arm and leg on labor, since it only about a $50 part!

I'm starting to think my car is cursed with some sort of transmission curse!

Old 04-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks 04HCH, this was my exact same problem i had as well.