What is the water clearance of our hybrid suv?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 09:19 PM
Administrator
Default What is the water clearance of our hybrid suv?

The reason I asked is if while traveling and I encountered a flooded street, at what safe level can we drive the hybrid without bogging? I know the range rover advertise 19 inch of water fording.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What is the water clearance of our hybrid suv?

If I could get access to my own pictures and or upload more... I can show pictures of 2 Modes much deeper than 19"

The trick is to go in slow and then accelerate easy. Air pockets form in the front wheel wells and the combination of air conditioning/radiator blocks most water from flowing straight into the engine compartment.

A non-factory cold air system may pick up real low so be more careful with them.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:41 PM
Administrator

There are the orange power cables going to the 2mode tranny, will that short anything? The battery pack underneath the 2nd row seat, does it vent higher than the floor pan? Thanks, hillbilly!

Old 11-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The orange cables should be sealed and survive the 14 state corrosion tests. I have splashed around in fresh and salt water. As long as the insulation and "O" ring seals are intact no problems submerging them.

However: if you get water in the cabin... the HV battery computer won't survive that. The air outlet is behind the battery on the drivers side. It vents into a hollow body floor cavity that protects splash and while moving.

If you stop and sit in water up to the bottom of the seats... it can come in the out.