Weird routing on Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 10:27 PM
Enthusiast
Default Weird routing on Navigation

Hello guys,

It's great to finally find a forum about my beloved '08 Yukon Hybrid.

I really am enjoying the car. No problems so far except for this little annoying thing that keeps happening to me everytime I use the navigation system.

Has anyone noticed how bad the routing logic is on this. There are numerous times where the system would route me to go around several roads first instead of just using a road that goes straight. I've tested this on my usual route to get home from work. The shortest way (which I learned through my Garmin a few years ago) is 9.8 miles. When I try using this thing, it's 13 miles. Once I ignore a turn, it would re-route, but instead of finding the shortest way, it would keep trying to take me to a different route that still longer. Sometimes it would get so confused it would ask me to take a u-turn. Only after several missed turns would it find the correct route. I asked GM to check it out and they couldn't find any problems with it apparently.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:52 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default when you plot in...

it asks you which of three choices you want, all of which will show a differing route...also I found that it was avoiding the most direct route because I didn't select freeway in the sub options. I agree that it is a bit awkward but dig around in the sub menus and you may find that you need to select some options. the book is not all that great either. I have a garmin that I use for flying but it contains road maps too....maybe ill do a side by side comparison some day.
I was recently in the mountains and found that it does accurately show the side roads, logging roads etc but you have to zoom in to see them if you zoom out to see a destination you lose the detail on the roads. I was just guessing the end of a road but had to work to see if I was right or not by moving the map around while zoomed in.
nothing is perfect!

Last edited by jet1; 07-25-2009 at 07:30 PM.