Really weird sound...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 04:38 PM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Really weird sound...

I have a 2006 FWD Escape Hybrid. Lately, I've been hearing a weird sound coming from the back of the car. It sounds like a drip of water falling into a full sink or maybe an owl far away in the night. Like whirrrrrup or hoooooooooooohoo. Has anyone heard this or have any idea what it could be? It seems to happen when going around curves and accelerating at the same time...but I cant really predict it.

Old 04-23-2006, 08:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Really weird sound...

You are describing a really faint sound... is it? I'm assuming you aren't asking about the soft whirrring from the fan in the battery or the sound of gas sloshing in the tank, but it kinda sounds like you are. In most cars you can't hear gas in the tank but in these things with the engine off, its pretty easy to hear.

Old 04-24-2006, 01:33 PM
Enthusiast

it is neither the battery fan or sloshing of gas in the tank. I've had the car since December and this sound is just a few weeks old. it is so hard to explain, or predict... i'm going to have so much trouble at the dealer!

Old 04-24-2006, 03:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Have you had a passenger in the back seat ride along to help discern exactly where the sound's coming from? I had to do that to locate a rattling sound that cropped up... turns out I had not quite cinched down the tire jack/lug wrench when I took it out of the car to inspect the spare tire and familiarize myself with where everything was stored. While driving, all I could tell what that the sound was coming from the rear of the vehicle and I was fairly certain is was inside the vehicle, but couldn't even be certain about that.

Let us know if you figure out what it is and/or if it's corrected.