stalling when reversing in 4x4 hybrid against a steep uphill offroad

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 08:08 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: stalling when reversing in 4x4 hybrid against a steep uphill offroad

KK,
There is no reverse gear in the gearbox of the GM hybrids, it only reverse on electrical mode

Old 11-25-2009, 06:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: stalling when reversing in 4x4 hybrid against a steep uphill offroad

Guss thanks for the information. It sounds like we should open a Chev Hybrid dealership in Jordan. How do you think the Volt will do in your country? I have spent some time in your country and enjoyed myself.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:56 PM

Kk,
there is a chevy dealer in Jordan. That's where I am buying my hybrid from
I am glad you enjoyed your stay in Jordan. Let me know next time you are there.
Not sure about the volt. Electricity here is quiet expensive not sure if it is feasible.
I am not too familiar with the volt

Old 11-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Guys, I went back and looked again at the manual. It will not run electric only (EV) with the vehicle in reverse. From the manual...

The ICE (internal combustion engine) will remain running when:

1. Driving in reverse
2. The engine or transmission is not yet warmed up
3. The transmission temperature or Energy Storage System (ESS) is too high
4. The engine is required to run to help achieve the selected climate control heating and/or cooling setting.
5. The Hybrid ESS charge is low.
6. The hood is not fully closed.
7. The Check Engine light is illuminated.
When playing the radio or using electrical accessories with the vehicle off, DO NOT LEAVE THE VEHICLE IN THE ACC POSITION FOR MORE THAN 30 MINUTES. Instead, leave the vehicle in Running and rely on the AUTO STOP feature to supply power as needed.

We can discuss why these things are the way they are...but this is the way it is. I am not sure what occurred causing difficulty backing up, but my '09 4x4 Silverado Hybrid moves my 4500# 23' boat like it isn't even there uphill included. It is a requirment that the engine (ICE) is running but I wish I could lock it out.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:15 AM

Hi, I know that with the horse trailer on with a 6,000lbs load I have no problem going up a steep hill on the farm backwards. On the gearbox/transmission. I know that the two electric motors are in the transmission and one is used at low speed EV mode and the other is used at high speed. Also it is one of these electric motors that starts the engine. I know the engine does run when backing up and the rpm does increase when appliying more foot pressure, what I cannot remmeber is what is the Hybrid screen on the Nav display showing when we are backing up under power? Has anyone checked this? I will today if I have a chance and remmeber. I should write this down on a check list. Backing up in only EV mode up a hill would put a high load on the electric motor as well as the battery. Just food for thought.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

If you have the Hybrid screen displayed while in reverse, the screen displays the ICE supplying power to the EVT (transmission/MG1,MG2) and from there to the Traction Battery PRIOR to the brake being released or accelerator activated. Once you apply accelerator or release the brakes , Hybrid Mode is displayed and ICE and the Traction Battery are supplying power to the EVT and in turn to the wheels.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:06 PM

The ICE operates, but there is no mechanical link to the driveshaft in reverse. So, it just supplies current to the electric motor and battery pack.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yes the ICE is running and disconnected from the driveshaft via the clutches. The reason it runs in reverse is probably the same reason it runs when the hood is open...so you can hear it...reducing the chance of someone getting hurt. But I would still argue that the torque supplied by the electric motors is greater than a 6.0L gas engine trying to do the slow speed crawl that reverse is used for. I know it doesn't answer why Gusses friend couldn't get up the steep hill, but it may have been too steep or a circumstance that a conventional engine couldn't either. Just slap me if I miss the point again!

Old 12-04-2009, 04:23 PM

Hey Guss Congradulations on your 2010 Tahoe Hybrid.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:01 PM

Kk,
thanks for congrats but i haven't received it yet need Another month or so.

Quick Reply: stalling when reversing in 4x4 hybrid against a steep uphill offroad

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands