Service Hybrid System 2013 Yukon

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 08:40 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Service Hybrid System 2013 Yukon

OK all. Texas is still warm but now my the "Service Hybrid System" comes on every start. Still no codes checked it with 3 readers again, no issues appear to be happening drives all nice and normal. I clear it and it will come back a few times over an hour drive or so, then will stay off. The battery in Torque is still in great shape pushing out really good readings that Keith confirmed last year might be some of the best he has seen on a battery.

Any thoughts? Will the Service Hybrid System go away if I disconnect the 12 volt battery for a time period and stay gone for a while. About to have a 1800 mile road trip.

Thx, Paul

Old 10-04-2020, 10:28 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

If the Service Hybrid System Warning is on then there are probably codes associated with that. I guess that they are so GM specific that a std code reader just does not pick it up.
You may have to find someone that has a Tech2 scanner to check it and see what is going on. (take it to a dealer?)
I had pretty good luck at the dealership last time they ran the codes on my 09 Hybrid. They did not charge me anything, since the parts were obsolete.
OK so by "pretty good luck" I meant I did not get charged for dealer diagnosis and saved a ton of money putting on salvage parts and using a independent garage...

Last edited by dnt1010; 10-04-2020 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Speelin lol
Old 10-04-2020, 10:56 AM
Enthusiast

I am going to say this is what the symptoms are for the extended warranty issue since it comes back on while driving, but may also be related to the Serial Data Gateway Module as discussed in this thread. I am not sure if you can install a salvaged Module and not have to have it programmed by a Tech2 scanner. I just clear mine when I start and it never comes back on unless I shut it down and restart.

Old 10-19-2020, 05:25 AM
Enthusiast

Hello All!
found this thread and I have been dealing with the “Service Hybrid System” for 3 years now! When it first came on, there was no start/crank lights came on and everything else but would not start. Towed to dealer, after module changes, computer changes, nothing, than it was “need a new hybrid battery” wanted to charge over 7,000.00, ended up having a green bean battery installed on the street for roughly 2,500. Started right up. But the “service hybrid system” didn’t clear, tech said it should go away eventually, never did. Took it to multiple dealers, all stumped, can’t find anything wrong. Til this day every start I press the button to clear it and never comes on until next start.
I’m just hoping it continues to run with no issues until the wheels fall off at this point lol
The green bean battery has a five year warranty as well. I know it’s not the best but everything has been fine for over a year now with no issues except the stupid message that came on prior to the battery being replaced. hoping to get that message cleared through the help of this forum because not one GM dealership has found anything wrong with “zero codes” supposedly. I’m chalking it up to just inexperience when it comes to this specific hybrid system or just plain ol laziness. I’ve found more answers on what it could be on this thread than an actual dealership lol
-2010 Yukon Denali Hybrid

Old 10-19-2020, 10:18 AM
Enthusiast

That's the biggest problem with dealers. They stopped producing these in 2013 and even then there were only 800 on the road. No techs and no help from GM. I'm told it is the Serial Data Gateway Bus by the passenger airbag, but am told by dealer they won't work with a salvaged unit and they don't make the module anymore. I have found however that the module is common even among non hybrid models so why don't they have a cross reference. I am coming to a conclusion it is laziness on the part of the service managers. I took 3 trips and 5 days to get my hybrid modules replaced under the extended warranty. Now I still have the warning message that I clear every time I start it, but no other symptoms. I think it is a residual code stuck in memory that can't be cleared without deep programming. I wish an engineer of the 2 stage system would chime in.

Old 10-20-2020, 09:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Justgabe2
Hello All!
found this thread and I have been dealing with the “Service Hybrid System” for 3 years now! When it first came on, there was no start/crank lights came on and everything else but would not start. Towed to dealer, after module changes, computer changes, nothing, than it was “need a new hybrid battery” wanted to charge over 7,000.00, ended up having a green bean battery installed on the street for roughly 2,500. Started right up. But the “service hybrid system” didn’t clear, tech said it should go away eventually, never did. Took it to multiple dealers, all stumped, can’t find anything wrong. Til this day every start I press the button to clear it and never comes on until next start.
I’m just hoping it continues to run with no issues until the wheels fall off at this point lol
The green bean battery has a five year warranty as well. I know it’s not the best but everything has been fine for over a year now with no issues except the stupid message that came on prior to the battery being replaced. hoping to get that message cleared through the help of this forum because not one GM dealership has found anything wrong with “zero codes” supposedly. I’m chalking it up to just inexperience when it comes to this specific hybrid system or just plain ol laziness. I’ve found more answers on what it could be on this thread than an actual dealership lol
-2010 Yukon Denali Hybrid
Pull the OBD codes with a scanner to get an idea of what is causing that message to appear.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:01 AM
Enthusiast

You can't get with OBD scanner. It is too deep.

Old 10-22-2020, 02:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lvflyer
You can't get with OBD scanner. It is too deep.
Doubt that. Any Snap-On or professional grade scanner should read something "deep". There are plenty of codes that a $15 OBDII scanner can't get because they manufacturer specific. That doesn't mean they're unreadable.

Old 10-22-2020, 02:53 PM
Enthusiast

That's what I meant. Basic OBD. A Snap-On could read mine at the module code, but couldn't reset nor figure out any internal codes. I still think it is a locked code that wasn't reset when the module was replaced under extended warranty.

Old 10-22-2020, 02:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

"Locked' or permanent codes are self-resetting when criteria are met. IF a module needs to be programmed to a specific VIN or other requirement, it's locked because it's sensing the mis-match. The only way to fix it is to properly program the module.

Quick Reply: Service Hybrid System 2013 Yukon

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands