Rust on frame

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 09:54 AM
Proud to be GM
Default Re: Rust on frame

Guys,

Remember that underneath all the badges and tape, the TaHy is still about 90% Tahoe. The area under the wheels is treated no differently for the hybrid versions than for any other Tahoe or Suburban model.

It is ALWAYS best to have your used purchase considerations examined by a mechanic of your choosing. At the end of the day, you will find that any oxidation in that area is Michigan normal and presents no structural or functional concern.

(fwiw - I've been in Michigan for over 30 years and Buffalo before that)

Old 10-14-2011, 11:33 AM
aka soulsea

Hi Martin ...

I'm not sure anyone suggested that frame oxidation/rust has anything to do with the hybrid drivetrain ... just a vehicle that seems to suffer from it that happens to be a hybrid.

That said there's much to these vehicles that seems identical to their non-hybrid counterparts and in fact isn't ... for example one could imagine a scenario where the frame is treated differently for conductivity reasons. I just pulled that example out from the air but I've come across similar variations that are almost impossible to spot by sight. Researching these potentialities is always a sound strategy even if nine times out of ten there are no variations to be found. Assumption of identicality can prove an expensive endeavor ... trust me I know.

In regards to the oxidation showing in that picture I have to say that I am still at a loss as to root cause, since my truck is painted black and spotless in that specific area. It's visible in my signature pic but I'm happy to take a better picture to confirm.

Last edited by HyHoe; 10-14-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The color looks too uniform for typical Michigan "rust". These frames are coated with a waxy anti-corrosion material from the factory. Whan new it gets on you and your clothing real easy. It hardens up with time. By now it should be solid enought that pressure washing should reveal what is beneath and show the wax still present. If it was "rustproofed" over the top of the factory wax... dirt could be sticking to it.

The front lower control arms are aluminum on the 2008. What do they look like? If they are the same orange color... something is going on that is not rust. Rear driveshaft... same thing. Should be bare aluminum.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:55 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info Hillbilly. As it turns out it really was only dirt that was kind of sprayed on from a long drive on the wet dirty roads. I had the truck checked out and I ended up buying it. Hope to get it delivered within a week.